Serious Question!!! Too Much Peeping?

My girls used to cheep all the time, my brooder was very full of chicks, and around mid day, and in the evening before everyone else settled they would just make tons of noise. Now they are outside full time, and dont make noise at all...unless they see me coming, then they go bezerk and all come running (and flying) to door waiting for their treats! They are just like kids...the more restless they get, the more energy they have, and I think for chickens, it comes out with noise.

Last edited:
When my chicks were 2-4 weeks old they peeped constantly. I happened to have two weeks off from work due to a remodel and thought I was going to go crazy!
hmm.png
I figured it was normal behavior.

My three babies are 5 weeks old now and won't shut up. Their brooder is huge (5x3) so they have plenty of room. They are warm and comfy, have access to food, water and a mini-roost. We've put them outside during the day when the weather allows to acclimate them to the big girls - supervised of course. (sidenote - the big girls took a couple good nips at the babies over the weekend. My adult Australorp really goes after the babies if they run - no one was hurt). The baby Delaware is the noisiest of the three and seems to be the leader. She hates being picked up and carried and screams bloody murder when handled (something I officially started working on yesterday). She's obnoxious. The Sussex and Golden Sex link are loves and will hunker down and cuddled when you carry them. I told DH today that I hope the Delaware calms down soon or we're going to have to find her a new home. I'm really hoping and thinking this behavior is just a stage and it too will pass. Hubby says he's going to devise a run within a run for the babies so they can interact safely with the adults on a daily basis. Should be interesting.

So all in all, I think this is normal behavior but can't wait for things to quiet down soon. LOL!

Last edited:
Sounds like the peeping is normal to me! But it can drive you crazy!!! Especially if your brooder is inside the house. I have gotten so desperate for some peace & quiet I've had to go for a walk around the block many times to get a break from the squawking! If something was really awry, their behavior would probably be much different. I could be wrong though, so trust your gut!
If it's incredibly loud, and nothing seems to be wrong, I've gotten in the habit of putting on music, or at least the TV if the sound of your voice soothes them at all. It works for me. I also turn off the lights for an hour in the afternoon so they will settle down.

Back
Top Bottom