Serious Question!!! Too Much Peeping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hollytree10, May 28, 2012.

1. Hollytree10

Hollytree10 In the Brooder

Apr 27, 2012
    Hey--My 4 week olds are in their brooder and are peeping like crazy--almost constantly. The temperature is fine--they are evenly spaced around the brooder. They are eating and drinking. I have things for them to climb on and have given them some treats...but they keep on cheeping. They seem healthy and problem free? Why are they being so loud and sounding semi-distressed? This has been going on for about half a day....

2. Yasi

Yasi Hatching

May 26, 2012
    My chicks are doing the same thing, Im worried about one though that wont peep at all... any more replys would be good
    [​IMG]

3. Hollytree10

Apr 27, 2012
    Oh I am sorry you have one not peeping :( I am new to chickens and can't offer any advice---I am looking for it like you!

4. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chirping

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    Seems rather normal at that age, they peep quite a bit, ours did till we got them outside into their run and coop. At 4 weeks I think the brooder starts to get old, and they want some more space. Ours also would peep like crazy before bed time until they settled down and fell asleep.

5. Ldeal

Ldeal Songster

Sep 21, 2011
    Fallon, NV
    same age as mine and doing the same thing. Rue and Bossy get so use to being outside in the little girls pen that at night they throw a fit for being back in the brooder. Its normal, someone gave me the advice of just throwing some crumbles on the bottom of the cage and it will keep them busy scratching until they go to sleep

6. roz

roz Chirping

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    We have 6 week olds and for the last 2+ weeks they have peeped from late afternoon til bedtime. They did it in the brooder, we moved them outside this weekend and they have done it both afternoons until we put them in the coop for bed and they fall asleep.

7. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG] I wouldn't be too overly woried about them being noisey. At 4 wks temp in brooder should be <80 degs but it's been warm here so, mine have no heat lamp on except at night and they can move away from heat if they want to. You say you have been giving them treats - do you have chick grit for them? If they are only fed chick feed they don't need grit but, with extra treats they do.

8. Hollytree10

Apr 27, 2012
    Thanks so much! They have gone to sleep now, and I think that is it--just pitching a fit. I am getting their coop on Thursday, and will start to acclimate them to the outside this weekend. I think they are just ready for their big girl room.

9. Ldeal

Ldeal Songster

Sep 21, 2011
    Fallon, NV
    Yea i just brought mine in about an hour ago and they were not happy. I figured out they like it better when they can see us and they are sleeping now.

10. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Songster

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    My babies being raised by a broody peep constantly. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: