Serious Question!!! Too Much Peeping?

Hollytree10

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Hey--My 4 week olds are in their brooder and are peeping like crazy--almost constantly. The temperature is fine--they are evenly spaced around the brooder. They are eating and drinking. I have things for them to climb on and have given them some treats...but they keep on cheeping. They seem healthy and problem free? Why are they being so loud and sounding semi-distressed? This has been going on for about half a day....

My chicks are doing the same thing, Im worried about one though that wont peep at all... any more replys would be good
yippiechickie.gif

Oh I am sorry you have one not peeping :( I am new to chickens and can't offer any advice---I am looking for it like you!

Seems rather normal at that age, they peep quite a bit, ours did till we got them outside into their run and coop. At 4 weeks I think the brooder starts to get old, and they want some more space. Ours also would peep like crazy before bed time until they settled down and fell asleep.

same age as mine and doing the same thing. Rue and Bossy get so use to being outside in the little girls pen that at night they throw a fit for being back in the brooder. Its normal, someone gave me the advice of just throwing some crumbles on the bottom of the cage and it will keep them busy scratching until they go to sleep

We have 6 week olds and for the last 2+ weeks they have peeped from late afternoon til bedtime. They did it in the brooder, we moved them outside this weekend and they have done it both afternoons until we put them in the coop for bed and they fall asleep.

welcome-byc.gif
I wouldn't be too overly woried about them being noisey. At 4 wks temp in brooder should be <80 degs but it's been warm here so, mine have no heat lamp on except at night and they can move away from heat if they want to. You say you have been giving them treats - do you have chick grit for them? If they are only fed chick feed they don't need grit but, with extra treats they do.

Thanks so much! They have gone to sleep now, and I think that is it--just pitching a fit. I am getting their coop on Thursday, and will start to acclimate them to the outside this weekend. I think they are just ready for their big girl room.

Yea i just brought mine in about an hour ago and they were not happy. I figured out they like it better when they can see us and they are sleeping now.

Back
Top Bottom