Seriously - are people this stupid? Wait I know the answer...

Quote:
Apparently they exposed their whole family (extended included) to this skunk and it was rabid. I am not objectional to skunks as pets (personally wouldn't have one but they are cute) but aren't there people who breed them?

I just don't think the average joe should pick up any stray animal and just bring it home without taking it to the vet to have it health checked. We have done this with stray kittens.

A wild animal I would turn over to A/C or a wildlife rehaber

Yep - it was the rabies and the wild animal part. I guess knowing that around here a lot of skunks have rabies I would not expose my family to that potential. I am not anti "helping" creatures in need.

Hi! I don't think you are anti- "helping" creatures in need at all.
You just know more about the 'possible stuation' than we do.
The potential of Rabies is a scarey thing. Both my youngest siblings had to go through the 'treatment' for exposure to rabid animals --- *twice* (from handling raccoons that tested positive for rabies). No accounting for good sense there.
smile.png

Lisa​

I am not sure what the legalities are for keeping a wild animal such as that for a pet. I would presume that some license would be required since it is an animal being taken from the wild. Although having a skunk for a pet would indeed be cool I probably would have contacted the nearest nature conservatory and tried to find a place that would rehabilitate the animal for future release.

I heard skunks are like dogs. *REALLY* affectionate. To the point that people who have skunks tend to get overwhelmed with how much affection the skunks want to give you. They lovelovelovelovelovelove.

Rabies is scary. I'm glad we have never had a case, in Idaho. If you've seen "28 Days Later"... that really is what rabies is like. Rage, fury, insane desire to attack and tear apart. No concept of the animal's own position, size, ability. Just the little raccoon's desire to tear that cougar to bits. I can't imagine what a rabid grizzly or polar bear would be like.

Horrifying.

My Dh told me that when our kids are older (like teens) and I have more free time I can get a pet skunk. I love them LOL.

As for bring a baby one home i would also,but then I would contact animal control and get it vetted and all that.I know they can do quarentine on them to check for symptoms, I had to have that done with my cats as a kid.

In most states it's illegal for the average Joe to have rabies vector species in their possession. You can't just (legally) find an orphaned skunk, raccoon, fox or whatever, bring it to the vet to be checked out and vaccinated and then keep it as a pet. Its actually illegal for the vet to treat and vaccinate unless they're in the care of a licensed rehabber, DEP or similar. (in CT, anyway)

Even most skunk breeders won't sell to people who live in areas where keeping skunks is illegal.

Last edited:
Quote:
Geez, out here, you can buy wolves. They make the most awesome pets. Never ever bark. So when a stranger breaks into your house, they get a big, hairy, toothy and most importantly, SILENT surprise. When they stand up, they are taller than me by about 1.5 feet.

Wolf is not as cool as a skunk though. How much fun could your kindergärtner have, taking that to show-n-tell? My favorite show-n-tells always ended in pandemonium.

My previously mentioned saved orphan skunk was a great pet for a time... he went to a farm where the farmer (a family friend) LOVED skunks and tamed all the wild ones around his area. So we took "Flower" (that was his name) out to the farm and our farmer friend said he quickly learned feed time and came around everyday. Eventually he grew and the farmer couldn't tell him from the rest anymore. We are talking about 40-50 trained skunks. lol.

Flower was adorable. He would play with the black and white cats but stomp at the others. BTW skunks don't spray first. They stomp their front feet into the ground and simultainiously go "eeee". It's hilarious when the skunk is only about 4 inches tall at the time. lol. I miss little ol' Flower.

Back
Top Bottom