Seriously confused.. cockerel or pullet

JennaGee

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
New Zealand
I was so sure this was a pullet because it has no comb, but then it started developing a tail like this. It's 14 weeks old, mix between black opington rir and leghorn, please help

I can sympathize with your anxiety over this. Fourteen weeks is the age where you think you have the gender nailed one day, and the next, you aren't sure again. It can be maddening!

Your chick has the stance of a cockerel. But the washed out head gear is throwing me off from taking a real stab at it. A cockerel should have a redder face and wattles.

You really should go to this forum and post your photo. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this You will get a lot more better guesses than on this forum.

ain't that the truth!

lau.gif

I was in conversation the other day with a breeder who is selling chicks straight run. My fear is if I buy 6, 4 of them wind up being roos, LOL I wouldn't mind ONE, and of course I suppose I could go and TRY to buy roos, so then they'd wind up being hens. does that reverse psychology thing work on chicks?

I was so sure this was a pullet because it has no comb, but then it started developing a tail like this. It's 14 weeks old, mix between black opington rir and leghorn, please help

I'm almost positive she's a pullet. I have a few EEs that have tails that curve so much I was sure they were both boys right up until they layed eggs. She only has the tail issue, like others have said no comb and waddles, but also no saddle feathers is a big indicator for me. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom