Seriously ugly EE egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dfdesigns, Feb 3, 2011.

1. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My EE has been laying for about 2 months, and her eggs have been terrific. Yesterday's egg, well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of her normal eggs is shown for comparison. Any ideas what those weird bumps are? They are hard and shell-like. Looks like she had some sort of color malfunction, too!

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Yeah, they have an *oops* egg sometimes. The bumps are just extra shell material, nothing to worry about.

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    i think it looks kind of cool.

4. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Well, now, that's uhhhmmm..... an egg.....
    I get those hard dots sometimes on eggs and I've heard a few different explanations for what it is; no big deal in any case -they come and go. The coloration is cute; maybe you'll get spotted eggs from her sometimes. I love spotted eggs.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Hey, did you get that from my hen? [​IMG] I get them sometimes.

6. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I think the coloring would be pretty neat on its own, but the Frankenstein-ish bumps are throwing me for a loop!

[​IMG]

7. txliss

txliss Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    It's all perfectly normal. Whomever is working in your hen's "body shop and paint" department is just having an off day. That or the quality control guy is on strike... [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You think that's ugly? . . . . Give her to me.

Seriously, I LOVE those eggs that are half one color, half another. [​IMG]

9. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Its normal every now and then. [​IMG] It looks pretty big too--have you opened it to see if its a double yolker?

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

just extra color and extra calcium bumps -- nothing to be concerned about. BTW, DON'T pick the calcium deposits off unless you're ready to open the egg. I did that with an egg I was going to put in a "for sale" carton and picked a hole in the shell. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by