Seriously???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nigellas, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    A few months ago I purchased 10 chicks from TSCs "straight run" bin. 8 were roos. EIGHT. I'm suspecting their supplier fixes the numbers to get rid of their extra roos. Never buying from them again.
    [​IMG]

2. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I got 2 roos out of 3 from the pullets bin.
    I'm going to a chicken swap next week for replacement birds.

3. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    That is the worst. I bought some new chicks this year and the only ones that die or get eaten by predators are the pullets.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I bought two pullets out of the straight run bin and a rooster out of the pullet bin. Hows that for odds? and my broody hatched 5 boys out of 7.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Unless they're bantams I absolutely MUST have, I don't buy from straight run bins. I am "lucky" enough to get a few cockerels from "pullet" bins... but only a few.

However, when I started incubating eggs,, I discovered I was really good at HATCHING roos. Hatching is like straight run, only better. [​IMG]

Just ordered pullets from Ideal, because I've been unable to get the breeds I wanted locally, and WOW - they're all pullets! I also purchased a sexed pair of goslings, and that's what I got. I am really pleased with Ideal Poultry. Yes, it's much more expensive than feed stores, but for breeds you want but cannot get locally, this is an ideal (hehehehehhehehe) method of adding to a flock.

6. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I got Austraslorps straight run from TSC and out of 15, 9 were roos. I also got 10 straight run Speckled Sussex and 6 were roosters. Agway was worse. Out of 10, 9 were roos - I am still trying to decide if the last one is a roo, too.

7. citybiddies

citybiddies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    We really must have lucked out then. Took a chance on two BO's that were labeled straight run and got two pullets. The 4 RIR's that we bought that were advertised as pullets turned out to be - though we had our doubts about one of them for quite a while. Sorry about your bad experience with them - how frustrating! [​IMG]

8. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Quote:i got three roos out of twelve , iguess i'm lucky

9. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:i got three roos out of twelve , iguess i'm lucky

That is LUCK!!![​IMG]

10. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Out of all my nine straight run light Bahamas, I think they are ALL roos. [​IMG]
    I only got straight run because the lovely staff got it wrong. UGHHHHH Ill NEVER get from them again. Unless im ABSOULETY SURE. Ill go with my pet chicken from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by