Seriously???

I bought 8 RR and 4 BR from TSC in April. It looks like i have 8 RR pullets as advertised and 2 BR pullets and 2 BR roos. BR were straight run. I am pretty happy with these results, considering some others results I have seen on these forums.
big_smile.png

The straight run bins usually do start out as 50/50 but are "picked over" by the first customers who are able to take educated guesses on gender and choose the pullets. I'm guilty of that myself! My 2010 Spring chicks came from a bin of straight run chicks BSL, GLW and SS. The BSL was easy, of course. The GLW and SS were a matter of finding the chicks with the smaller legs and feet. However it worked and I ended up with all girls. It is quite possible the same thing happened to you - earlier customers picked out the girls from the bunch before you got there so although still technically straight run, you had a much greater chance of getting the boys.

That's the issue with straight run, you don't know who got there first. A lot of breeds can be sexed with a certain amount of accuracy by a trained eye. I won't buy anything I don't know gender on besides ducks. I've only been wrong twice so far on two birds.

With my own, I can tell straight out of the egg what it is usually. Wish I could do it with ducks, I need to learn to vent sex.

Quote:
Hey, it happens. You know how turkeys always come straight run. My girlfriend went and got 10 thinking she's keep two Toms, whatever females she got and put the rest of the Toms in the freezer. No kidding, TEN TOMS!!!! She's made enough to spit. She decided to go with my Bourbons instead of the Palms she wanted. LOL!

I bought 6 chicks this Spring - from 3 different straight run bins at two different stores. I feel confident I have 6 hens, none are looking roo-ish to me. I have no particular skill in picking except that I read on BYC the upside down test and did that.

Hold chick upside down in your palm, if it stops struggling after just a few seconds = female. Continues to struggle = male. I don't know if this only applies to very young chicks, mine were 1-3 days old.

Four of the chicks immediately closed their eyes and relaxed! I remember putting back a couple that struggled mightily.
I "talk the big talk" but I sure don't want to have to butcher any of mine so I hope I don't get a harsh correction on my guesses in the coming weeks. They are all 7 weeks old now.
jumpy.gif
= girl
jumpy.gif
= girl
jumpy.gif
= girl
jumpy.gif
= girl
jumpy.gif
= girl
jumpy.gif
= girl

I bought my chicks at Orscheln's I bought 3 chicks from the assorted red pullet bin. One looks like a RIR (very dark now at 12 weeks) and one looks like production red (much lighter red). Then I bought 1 from the assorted wyandotte pullet bin, mine is SLW the only one left there were lots of others just no more SLW. They are 12 weeks old and no crowing. I have never heard of the upside down thing but I remember noticing that all three of mine calm down when laid on their backs I actually thought that was a chicken thing since they all do it. I posted their pictures on here around 9 weeks and most everyone said pullets with the production red being a maybe. We shall see soon enough. I am getting more hopeful though since none have crowed yet!!!

I have a friend that will slaughter any roos I get for me and give them back to us to eat so I'm not all that worried about it.

*sigh* My "luck" this year has been as follows...
TSC Assorted Bantams..I got..
4 Golden Sebrights...3 ROOS 1 Hen
5 MF D'Uccles....3 ROOS 2 Hens
7 Silkies...4 (possible) hens and 3 Roos
1 SDOEGB...ROO
1 Silver sebright...HEN!
wee.gif

For LF chicks from TSC..
7 EE's...4 roos and 3 hens
5 BO's...all hens!!
woot.gif

6 LB...3 Roos and 3 hens
6 BB...3 for 3 as well.
For ducks from TSC...
7 Pekins...2 Drakes and 5 hens
2 Mallards.... Both drakes..
From Cackle...
4 Ancona ducks...2 Drakes..2 Hens
2 F&W Runners....both Drakes
hit.gif

I bought 4 BO ducklings and 2 Muscovy ducklings from a breeder...jury is still out but IF I sexed correctly...I MIGHT have 5 hens and 1 BO drake...I HOPE SO
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom