Set 9/4 48 Araucana eggs. Any hatch buddies?

Quote:
Funny thing is they stopped making the high intensity candler I have because the high lumin LED flashlights do a good job and cost a lot less, which must have killed their sales
hmm.png

I candled last night at 9 days along and now I am sure 7 out of the 9 bantam Polish eggs are growing and only one out 4 of my own BLRW eggs. The four eggs were all from the same hen that eggs didn't grow in the last hatch. I need to know what quality chick she is producing so I can decide whether to keep her. Hopefully the one egg will hatch. It is going to be funny to have one large fowl chick with all the rest being bantams
lol.png

Ok candled today. Tossed 25 out of 48 that were clear. I wasn't sure enough about what I was looking for on the rest. I figured when in doubt, don't toss em out.
smile.png

I set the 4th too, about 8 am. I'm hatching 10 eggs from my RIR hen and the rooster is a BR. This is my second try on incubating eggs and I've been using a homemade incubator (until my light bulb broke) then switched to my hovabator that luckily came in the mail the day it broke. I only had one infertile, and 2 that started developing but then quit. So 7 left, and they are all moving and growing good!

Hatching buddies:)

I had one Polish egg quit, so now I am down to 6 Polish and 1 BLRW egg. The Polish don't seem to be moving around like the chicks usually do so I am not expecting a good hatch from them
sad.png
The eggs were stuck in the mail 4+ days and who knows how old the eggs were before they were sent, so I will be lucky if any of them hatch
idunno.gif

My eggs are going on lockdown tomorrow morning. Still have 7 left, and I candled them just a little bit ago. All of them are very lively, and ready to get out of their shells!

Go babies go!
big_smile.png

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I was reading that some people place their eggs back onto egg cartons at lockdown. From what I understand it is to keep the first chick to hatch from bumping into other eggs and turning them pip side down. Anyone else do this ? I'm thinking about trying it. Anything to help the little ones have a better chance. I'm moving them out of the egg turner Thursday afternoon. *crosses fingers*
bow.gif

Quote:
I always hatch in egg cartons
big_smile.png
just be sure to cut down the sides some and cut holes in the bottoms of the cups to let the warm air flow through, otherwise the eggs stay too cool and it may delay the hatch by a day
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom