Set eggs 3/5. Looking for others to hatch with!

I was inspired by this website http://cmfarm.us/humiditycontrol.html to make a humidifier. I took a ziplock container (the tall square one) and cut thee lid up so I can have different surface areas for different humidity, then hooked up a fish tank air pump to a light switch (for now) so I can turn it off and on, and added an air stone. When it is turned on it is like a humidifier! I bought a humidistat (humidity thermostat) off eBay and should ship tomorrow so I can make it automatic.

I candled a few eggs and 5 of the 6 I pulled had veins!! And one with veining is the EE double yolker (only saw veins to one, but the shell is quite thick and blue). So exciting! We are going to do a full candle tomorrow on day 6.

That is really interesting. Thanks for posting. Congrats on the development. Will you keep the double yoker? I put 12 RIR eggs in this time and our girls are famous for laying doubles, but usually I can tell by the egg size which one it is. I would hate it if I let one get past me because I am horrible at helping the babies out.

I was inspired by this website http://cmfarm.us/humiditycontrol.html to make a humidifier. I took a ziplock container (the tall square one) and cut thee lid up so I can have different surface areas for different humidity, then hooked up a fish tank air pump to a light switch (for now) so I can turn it off and on, and added an air stone. When it is turned on it is like a humidifier! I bought a humidistat (humidity thermostat) off eBay and should ship tomorrow so I can make it automatic.

I candled a few eggs and 5 of the 6 I pulled had veins!! And one with veining is the EE double yolker (only saw veins to one, but the shell is quite thick and blue). So exciting! We are going to do a full candle tomorrow on day 6.

Thanks you so much! I'll have to check that out, sounds like a great idea!

Since this hatch is a homeschool science project and all the eggs my kids helped collect were put in the hatching eggs, we have 1 EE double & 1 NN double. I figure I would have just cooked them anyway and not given them any chance. I have watched the YouTube video a few times where a member helped out 2 sets of twins and am completely ready to help them out if needed. I have done several hatches and have helped out a few singles.

I set a d'uccle 3/6 just to see if my roo was doing his job..He apparently is..I checked this morning and there are veins! I decided since that one was fertile to put the other she layed yesterday in there and one from another chicken (might be really funny looking, she's barred rock and roo is a d'uccle) I had cracked open one of her eggs this morning for breakfast and there was the tell tale fertile bullseye..prolly not the best to stagger them, but oh well it's done now. After I saw the bullseye I had to come candle to see if the other one grew
big_smile.png

I set a d'uccle 3/6 just to see if my roo was doing his job..He apparently is..I checked this morning and there are veins! I decided since that one was fertile to put the other she layed yesterday in there and one from another chicken (might be really funny looking, she's barred rock and roo is a d'uccle) I had cracked open one of her eggs this morning for breakfast and there was the tell tale fertile bullseye..prolly not the best to stagger them, but oh well it's done now. After I saw the bullseye I had to come candle to see if the other one grew
big_smile.png

Hopefully it's not too much of a stagger. I bet they come out fine. I'm a little confused on my roo because I was getting better fertility over the winter than I am now. Maybe it's just the girls are able to get away a little better since it's warmer outside and they are not so huddled up! I checked my eggs and only ended up with five out of 11. I pitched the others so I have more room for airflow. But I had veins on the one I really want and I have two more of that hen's eggs under a broody in the barn so I'll be okay with that.
Does anyone on this thread know how to sex a day old Rhode Island Red chick?

Hopefully it's not too much of a stagger. I bet they come out fine. I'm a little confused on my roo because I was getting better fertility over the winter than I am now. Maybe it's just the girls are able to get away a little better since it's warmer outside and they are not so huddled up! I checked my eggs and only ended up with five out of 11. I pitched the others so I have more room for airflow. But I had veins on the one I really want and I have two more of that hen's eggs under a broody in the barn so I'll be okay with that.
Does anyone on this thread know how to sex a day old Rhode Island Red chick?

Glad the ones you want have veins
smile.png
I have no idea bout the RIR

I have no idea either about sexing your RIR.

I am so excited! I recieved 8 buff barred cochin eggs today in good shape! I will be setting them tomorrow
wee.gif

jumpy.gif
Happy hatching!

Back
Top Bottom