Set Eggs April 30th... Whose w/ me?

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
So I set 2 Dozen eggs at 5pm Thursday April 30th. :)
I checked them tonight for hairline cracks and 8 out of 24 had hairline cracks. I really have to start getting my eggs somewhere else since my $$ is going down the drain due to the hair line cracks... So disappointed. Next time I'll get them from somewhere else. I know people said to put nail polish stuff on the cracks but the eggs were really bad I would have to cover half the egg. :(

Anyway... other than that so far so good.

So I set 2 Dozen eggs at 5pm Thursday April 30th. :)
I checked them tonight for hairline cracks and 8 out of 24 had hairline cracks. I really have to start getting my eggs somewhere else since my $$ is going down the drain due to the hair line cracks... So disappointed. Next time I'll get them from somewhere else. I know people said to put nail polish stuff on the cracks but the eggs were really bad I would have to cover half the egg. :(

Anyway... other than that so far so good.

Hi again, MyNameIs86! I set my new batch of eggs on the 30th as well! We are just hatching buddies this year! Haha! :)

Hi again, MyNameIs86! I set my new batch of eggs on the 30th as well! We are just hatching buddies this year! Haha! :)

Hehehe. Along with the hairline cracks again my candler broke! So I bought a new one on amazon... i Hope it is better. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow by 8pm so I can't candle any more until I get it...which sucks,because I am antsy to check the eggs. lol.

this is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KCKNYCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can anyone tell me if it's any good? It did get 4.5 star rating.

How many eggs do you have going @dreamer5577

Last edited:
I put 38 eggs in my incubator on the 30th.

Last time I only had 13 in there, so this is new. I'm hatching all eggs from my own backyard flock. Most are hatchery Rhode Island Red, but I have 2 Easter Egger hens. My first batch of chicks were all EE/cross, and they are healthy as anything so far. Trying to fly out of the brooder and they're not even 2 weeks old yet! Little troublemakers, they're lucky they're so cute.

I candled them before I started, no cracks that I could see. The green eggs... I think I saw air cells? Maybe?
I am wondering how much will be visible on the brown eggs. They're not dark dark brown like marans, but they are still pretty thick shells.

I set eggs in incubator at 1730 on the 30th also. This is my first time. Trying with 20 of my own eggs. Having a hard time keeping temp even as our house is hot during day and cool at night (in Florida)

I set mine late on the 30th 11pm. I purchased that candler it is very bright. Only thing I dislike is the cord is short, I put a small extention. Cord on it so I can sit and my desk and candle. The cord is not long enough to go from a plug just under the de
sk running the cord up to top of desk and then seriously that it. It won't even go half way over my dyi, desk which the top is a wooden door covered in wipe off cloth.

Wishing the best on ur hatch. I set 15 turkey eggs and one is has a small Crack I nail polished it.

I set mine late on the 30th 11pm. I purchased that candler it is very bright. Only thing I dislike is the cord is short, I put a small extention. Cord on it so I can sit and my desk and candle. The cord is not long enough to go from a plug just under the de
sk running the cord up to top of desk and then seriously that it. It won't even go half way over my dyi, desk which the top is a wooden door covered in wipe off cloth.

Wishing the best on ur hatch. I set 15 turkey eggs and one is has a small Crack I nail polished it.

Thank you for your input in the candler I purchased. It is making me look forward to it tomorrow so I can finally candle. I guess that is one good thing about my candler breaking is that i'm not candling every day. lol.

We are having a heat wave today and i have to keep an eye on my eggs since the temp will probably rise in the incubator as well... grrr.

Hehehe.  Along with the hairline cracks again my candler broke! So I bought a new one on amazon... i Hope it is better. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow by 8pm so I can't candle any more until I get it...which sucks,because I am antsy to check the eggs. lol. 

this is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KCKNYCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can anyone tell me if it's any good? It did get 4.5 star rating. 

How many eggs do you have going @dreamer5577

I originally had 15. I candled yesterday to find 7 developing, 2 possible quitters and the rest nothing.

I set some shipped eggs on the 24th. Had 25 eggs, ate the 3 smallest pullet eggs so set 22 after a day of storing upright on table to rest. Candled most of them last night to toss one infertile and one quitter. Air cells look good in most, one has a huge cell that's saddled. Overall have concern with the "swishy-ness" of the interior egg. Seems to have much more floating than I'm used to which bums me out even though there is development and obvious veining.

I use a flashlight to candle. Cup the light leaving a O shape with thumb and forefinger to hold egg to. I've made candlers by cutting a hole in cardboard box and putting a light inside but find the new 500 and 1000 lumen flashlights are super easy to use with excellent visibility

It's day 6... I'm down to 14 eggs (from 24) due to stupid hairline cracks. I am definitely going to get my next batch of eggs from someone else...
Also we have had a heat wave and so therefore i took out one of the red stoppers on the top of the incubator... the temp has been 102 and the humidity in the 40's. I haven't had to add water yet. But i might just because i think it needs some....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom