set eggs under broody today. anyone else set today?

tatiana916

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
Set 9 eggs under my pied Sussex its our first time. She jumped out of her brooding coop earlier (thankfully before I put the eggs under her) and so I made her a new one in the communal coop and she knocked over the L frame nesting box I made but fingers crossed we've had our teething problems now. Got 3 silkies, 3 polish and 3 sumatras under her. Anyone else setting today or got any advice?

I always let mine brood in coop with everyone. I mark the eggs set, and check everyday for new ones. Then on day 18, I put a small strip of cardboard in front so no chicks can fall out, once they hatch I then put her and her babies in the brooder coop or a dog kennel in the coop. I have 3 broodies right now and will be setting eggs under number 3 tomorrow. Good luck. The only advice I can give you is to let her be to do what she knows from instinct. A lit of people will remove them from their nest, but I don't, due to I can't watch her all day and I think they know when they need to eat and drink.

I just caught her eating one of the silkie eggs :/ so I'm checking her quite often fingers crossed some make it the whole way!

mstricer do you keep the broody and chicks in the coop with the other hens for a while after they've hatched and move them as quickly as possible after? We have 4 hens, one very broody so we took advantage of this and set 6 fertile eggs under her yesterday. I'm a bit worried that she's still in the coop with the 3 other hens and what will happen if/when the chicks hatch. Everything I read presumes that the broody is kept separate. It would be great to know that the chicks might be ok for a bit with the other hens. They are kept on an allotment so I can only check up on things once a day. Thanks.

Weeks - we've lost count! We bought her at POL in March, so she's only young but seems very determined. We tried to stop her broodiness but failed, so decided that we should let her hatch some eggs!

mstricer do you keep the broody and chicks in the coop with the other hens for a while after they've hatched and move them as quickly as possible after?  We have 4 hens, one very broody so we took advantage of this and set 6 fertile eggs under her yesterday.  I'm a bit worried that she's still in the coop with the 3 other hens and what will happen if/when the chicks hatch.  Everything I read presumes that the broody is kept separate.  It would be great to know that the chicks might be ok for a bit with the other hens.  They are kept on an allotment so I can only check up on things once a day. Thanks.

Usually they stay in a kennel in the coop. I've never ( knock on wood) have had any problems. Introducing chicks that I have hatched or my broodies. Usually they only stay in the kennel for about 3 days. Then Momma has had enough and wants out and she will take them back up to a nesting box. I have had broodys that have their babies outside on day 2, they do fine. I did have a girl last year bury some of her chicks because she likes to scratch and the babies were silkies and didn't get out of the way. But this year she made a great mom. I should have some babies when I get home Ms. Cruella is locked down tight. I gave her 9 d'Uccle eggs. Her sister is broody for the first time this year. She has been going into it for a month, but just sat on a nest 2 days ago.

Weeks - we've lost count!  We bought her at POL in March, so she's only young but seems very determined.  We tried to stop her broodiness but failed, so decided that we should let her hatch some eggs!

Good plan. The young girls sometimes do very well sometimes not so much. Just watch how she cares for them. If she doesn't protect them take them from her. My girls are not nice if someone messes with their chicks. I about lost an eye trying to help one get its chick that was stuck at the fence and couldn't find its way to her. Now Ms. Cruella will let me touch her babies, but I've had her for 3 years and she is very friendly for a spitzenhauben.

Thanks very much for that info. Can I just clarify - does the kennel have access to the rest of the coop so the broody can go in and out for food etc but the chicks will tend to stay in there out of the way or is the kennel self-contained but positioned within the coop? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom