Set my very first eggs today (due March 24th) - need a hatching buddy!

Do you have to put the eggs in carton for hatching or can you let them lay in the bator by themselves?

I have layed a kitchen liner in the bator so there is some grip for the chicks.

I just saw one of my eggs move :eek:

Quote:
You can hatch them on their sides with shelf liner. That's what I did last time. But the first few out played soccer with the eggs, so this time I thought I'd try in the cartons.

It's official, I'm in lock down!
woot.gif

OK I now have three eggs with tiny pips in them, a full day ahead of schedule!

All from the same hen, too
ep.gif

Are her babies just more vigorous than the others??

Quote:
What breed? As I understand, some breeds pop out sooner than others. (like Delaware's) Otherwise, your temps could have just been a bit high, so they are hatching earlier.

Quote:
What breed? As I understand, some breeds pop out sooner than others. (like Delaware's) Otherwise, your temps could have just been a bit high, so they are hatching earlier.

Temps are weird... mercury thermometer shows 102F and the digital thermometer shows 98F, so I'm hoping that the real temp is somewhere in between... nothing yet from the 14 other eggs...

Mama of the "speedy eggs" is a white leghorn/polish mix and the dad is probably a buff orpington, but could be a Polish... there were a few roos in the pen.

Quote:
If I had any of the vaccine, I would-the rest of my flock is vaccinated.

Thanks new2chooks, I heard the peeping and tripped over the dog and fell trying to get to the incubator. DH had called from work and I was on the phone with him at the time-phone went up in the air and I went down on my tail.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom