Set my very first eggs today (due March 24th) - need a hatching buddy!

Quote:
lau.gif

I've already had the flashlight on them. I guess it's time to serve them with eviction papers.

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
Technodoll I was just wondering if this means that you used the egg cartons and it didn't work very well? I go into lockdown tonight and have gone back and forth about using the egg cartons...we just usually lay the eggs on the bottom of the incubator.

Yes, they are in a ventilated cardboard flat.

My first-born got stuck between the side of the carton and the floor of the incubator all night long, I had to peel her out from under there - she almost died
sad.png

so that's enough for me...

Hey guys-keep your fingers crossed for me-I think my baby has a problem but won't know til I get it out of the incubator.
fl.gif

Just a note to say I had to perform a c-section on chick #9, she had pipped a hole in the egg since 11am and I could see her struggle in there all day, beak not breaking through any more shell or membrane.

I gave her 8 hours and then when she was getting weaker, I could see her starting to get shrink-wrapped despite the 70% humidity in the bator and me misting the eggs every 15 minutes.

I took the egg out, put it on a clean cotton towel and cracked off bits of shell very gently, then peeled back bits of membrane. I hit blood, so put the egg back for 15 mins, she still couldn't make any progress and the bleeding had stopped, so I took her out again and removed enough shell to free her head and legs. Then back in the bator, egg on its side - poor thing was cold and exhausted, I didn't think she would make it.

After 30 mins, she kicked and kicked and broke free of the last egg, which was very wet and had blood - not like the other eggs which were dry inside. Umbilical cord fine, I immediately put her in with the other babies under the heat lamp so she could dry, she burrowed herself under the pile of chicks and seems to be doing fine now.

Whew. My only purebred... a buff orpington
roll.png

I just hope she makes it as nothing is safe until they're all grown up!

had two hatch today!
big_smile.png
I wasn't sure about the first one that pipped yesterday, I didn't mess with it untill this evening when it had stopped peeping and moving. I helped it zip (just shell not membrane), but it didn't do anything until the second egg to pip hatched! Then I think it realized there was more to life then living in the shell, and pushed it's way out! When that one hatched we only had two other pips, now we have 4! I think it's all the knocking around in the bator that is waking everyone up!!!
lol.png

Well, this chick has no regard for authority. Still peeping, but staying put. It is an Orp, so drama, drama, drama.

Of course, it's a day early, so I guess it's alright that it's not hatching yet. What do you wanna bet it hatches while I'm sleeping. I missed most of my hatch last time, they waited til I was gone to hatch. Out of 5, I got to see 1 hatch.

Congrats everyone on the new chicks!!!

Still nothing here on Day 19... Just rockers but no chirpers. Glued to the bator but managed to clean the house, barn, shop for groceries and slowly cook dinner.

Now time for a drink!!!! Come on my little babies!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom