Set my very first eggs today (due March 24th) - need a hatching buddy!

This was #1 sicilian buttercup's birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z38BLDoenMc

If
you aren't the patient type, skip to 2:25 when she pops out!!

We now have 10 baby chicks....they are amazing!

check out this white EE mass of fluff!!!

41441_dsc01235.jpg

We hatched...
3 sicilian buttercups
1 speckled sussex
1 mystery - supposed to be speckled sussex
smile.png

1 barnevelder

I lost my mind at the feed store and them some more playmates
1 white EE
1 grey/black EE
1 Barred rock
1 silver laced wyandotte

Last edited:
Congrats Cheryl!

My hatch is done. I got 10 babies. The cracked Orp didn't make it. I don't know why, it appeared fine when I opened it. If it hadn't been knocked out of the carton, maybe it would have hatched. If it had hatched, I would have had 100% development and 100% hatch rate on shipped eggs from VA to CA. I think even with 5 out of 6 hatching that is awesome on shipped eggs!

So, here's the cuteness!
SDC10124.jpg

Silver penciled rock:
SDC10125.jpg

Splash Orp
SDC10128.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow has this been a journey...:Dstill just have the three chicks...:/one pipped and died during the effort.
sad.png
Just helped a fourth chick out of most of the shell as it just seemed to be going nowhere..now he's peeping away but seems to be resting so we'll see where that ends up...
I can't believe how emotionally tiring this has been...and here's me who thought the inside of eggs were gross delicately peeling back the membrane with tweezers while peeping to the little guy inside. Still have four eggs not doing anything so will give them abother day...
tongue.png

Last edited:
thanks...the fourth chick is up and running around the incubator dragging his shell...hopefully nothing will tear...
Here are pics of the three so far!
49062_img_0733.jpg

49062_img_0723.jpg

It has been quite the night. We now have 14 hatched eggs and two more in the bator but i think they will not hatch.

One of my eggs hatched at the wrong end. I left him alone for about 12 hours but noticed the progression to be quite slow. I helped take some of the egg shell off and let it be for a few more hours hoping it would do something....but nothing did. I broke the rules and slowly took the membrane off. Its head was in no position to get itself out of the egg. There was a bit of bleeding but at one point, thd chick did manage to push itself out. Limp and almost lifeless, i put the chick in a seperate container to see what would happen. Its tummy was still inflamed as it did not finish absorbing its food.

I woke up at 1am and noticed him flailing around and not settling with the heat....so I took it in my hand and put it underneath my shirt on my chest. The chick just passed out a good hour. It needed all the rest. I managed to get my heat pad out and popped it into my microwave. I nestled the chick in the container on the pad....it slept and slept. I woke up to heat it again and the chick slept. The third time it did not want to sleep anymore and wanted to be with its bros and sis chicks. The chick couldnt walk well but was happy to be with others. Later this morning we put the chicks in our bator and the one that I nursed all night is running around like a bat out of hell. I was so relieved!

The chick was the 13th born on a Friday! Just like momma (me) who was born on Friday the 13th.

I am so pooped, but very happy to have saved a little life!!!!

Happy Hatching Everyone!!!

Back
Top Bottom