Set my very first eggs today (due March 24th) - need a hatching buddy!

Thank you..one more question..once a bird lays a first egg, is that always the color that she will lay or can it be different with each egg??

Quote:
The basic egg color will remain the same. A hen that lays a green egg will lay shades of green her whole life. A hen that lays a brown egg will lay shades of brown. The depth or shade of color can vary due to age, weather, diet and enviromental changes such as stress.

Thank you so much, I was referring to the EE's . After I read my statement, I thought is sounded ridiculous if people thought I was say, talking about any other breed than the EE's..
smile.png

Today is day 24 and nothing! Eggs were set late evening Friday 12th March, I had 3 eggs still in the bator last night, I candled them and 2 are full of chick with airsac still showing, the 3rd had a much smaller chick wich seemed to slosh about. I opened it and there was a little dead chick, very small with beak and legs but no feathers/fluff, lots of yolk. I put the other 2 back but I think I've given up hope, no sign of life. Maybe my humidity was too low at the start (large air sacs) and my temperature has been lower than it probably should have been for still air. I have a new hova-bator and the instructions said to keep the temperature at 100. I've since read that it should be higher for still air incubators. Is there any way to tell if the remaining two could still pip? I think I should probably switch off the bator now. I feel sad and responsible!

I might be imagining things but I've been out all day, just came home and decided to wait until dark and then candle again, if no change I was going to switch off the bator. Been feeling sad all day. I don't know what made me do it but I took one egg out and listened to it and heard tapping! I can't believe it, I sooo hope it's a chicken hatching. I still feel bad about the little dead one but I would be so happy if these two made it. I will be sitting here watching all evening! It's 7pm here just now. I've just arranged to collect a new batch of a dozen hatching eggs tomorrow, thought I might do better if they didn't come through the mail, oh my gosh, I was so hoping that these ones would survive, could they possibly? I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom