Setting 26 eggs today (June 27th) Anyone else?

I'm still waiting for my one lonely bantam egg to show any signs. It was suppose to hatch Saturday or Sunday and it's now Wednesday. How long do I wait before I give up on it?

I had three little quails hatch pretty much right on time and then last evening found one dead in the brooder and another very lethargic. This morning it's dead so I only have one lonely baby, but it seems quite lively.

I have a BCM zipping and chirping like mad!
jumpy.gif
:jumpyThe GLW that was rocking around a few days ago, has been pretty still. Yesterday I may have seen it move, but it may have been wishful thinking. So excited about a BCM chick though. I hope he isn't deformed b/c of my turner malfunction.
fl.gif

Yay I woke up this morning and I have three more pipped only one had pipped when I went to bed last night!!! My lil chick that hatched a day early yesterday is so lonely he/she need another lil chicky friend....

Yay sportchick I was hoping you would still have some babies after the turner thing. I am so happy for you!!!
fl.gif
that the rest of your hatch goes well!!!

Canadian crower I would definately take the egg and candle the best you can usually if its still alive you can see the little head in the air sac moving. I don't really know on bantam eggs though because they are so small. My bantam eggs aren't suppose to hatch until saturday it will be the first time I have hatched bantams. I am so excited to see how small they will be!!!

Quote:
Thanks Duster. I have 2 more pips too. My chick does not appear deformed at all. She looks great and she's really loud! Hope she encourages all the others to get out of their eggs. I will take pictures when they are fluffy. Can you really tell if they are hens or roos that early? Is it true for all breeds?

I can tell you better when they are around 3 days old if you spred the wings out. Its better when what I call there primary feather shoots start putting the tip of the feather out on the wings. I could possibly tell you on day 4 but that would be pushing it cuz it gets harder to do the older they get unless the feathers haven't started coming out alittle.

I guess I better rephrase that I haven't tried to sex bantams I have heard that they are really hard to tell but the bigger breed chicks I can sex for you.

I got 2 BCM.
love.gif
There is one more pipped but it pipped kind of low and it looks like some liquid oozed out and resealed it so I'm guessing the little guy is dead:hit. Thrilled about my 2 though. I have 2 GLW that I'm not too hopeful about either but will wait until tomorrow or the next day.

This was the first one out. She is in love with anyone who will look in the incubator at her, and she really likes the sponge!
50569_img_0501.jpg

This is the second one. It struggled a lot more getting out of it's shell and has that stringy thing attached to its (her??) backside and she still has the umbilical cord thingy attached to her belly. I am hoping she's just resting and will be able to stand after a while.

50569_img_0502.jpg

I've had babies with the strings attached and they finish up just fine. I just love fuzzy butts!

My last batch of guinea eggs just went into the hatcher for lockdown, so the next couple of days are going to be nervous ones. I have a brooder set up, separate from the eggs I hatched last week; washing feeders and waterers on the Hot cycle in the dishwasher; making sure the bulb in my light is good and testing the temperature in the box. All that wonderful stuff that enables me to gaze in the box with a silly look on my face, cooing at my babies!

I'll be putting a few more eggs in the incubator later this week, then next week the porcelain d'Uccles go into the hatcher for lockdown. I have 11 of 12 (shipped) eggs that have made it to this point. Some of the air sacks still look wonky, but the chicks are still developing.
fl.gif
Send good hatching vibes my way!

Quote:
Captain Cluck I was just reading all the eggcitement on here and noticed what you said about the broody. Did you know she may lay eggs for a week but they will all hatch at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom