Setting duck eggs on Saturday, 8/18 - Anyone wanna join? (Set by next Saturday for chicken eggs)

@ BidRed

The Corturnix quail only take 16-18 days to hatch. These ones are meat birds. I will hold back the biggest and the best for breeders and butcher the rest.
smile.png
I havent had quail since I was a kid. Do they grow bigger or quicker than meat chickens or is it just a personel prerefence? Sorry about all the questions I never new people raised quail and phesants till this site.

Red

if it alright I will like to joinin I just set some chicken eggs on the 14th some cornix qual eggs on the 14th and some cornix quail eggs on the 17th this is my second time

I havent had quail since I was a kid. Do they grow bigger or quicker than meat chickens or is it just a personel prerefence? Sorry about all the questions I never new people raised quail and phesants till this site.

Red
Hi Red,

This is my first time raising them for meat but they will be butcher ready from 6-8 weeks and start laying eggs at about 8 weeks. These won't replace my meat pen chickens just add some variety to the freezer. I plan on trying pheasants in the Spring.

if it alright I will like to joinin I just set some chicken eggs on the 14th some cornix qual eggs on the 14th and some cornix quail eggs on the 17th this is my second time
It will be fun to hear about your quail hatch! The ones I set on the 18th will be right behind the ones you set on the 17th.

I have never raised or eaten quail. I would be interesting to try. Do they taste like chicken (everything else is supposed to)? I think the bobwhite quails are very cute!, but I would need a permit to raise those. I am not trying anything else new until I am out of college (but I have a long list of things I want to try then). I can't wait to see the variety of babies we will all hatch.

Wow, we're gonna have a ton of hatches in here, and all different kinds of babies! My incubator is giving me headaches. My thermometers are starting to disagree for no good reason, so I'm mostly going by the one that I have settled into the egg cartons the eggs are in. Humidity is holding steady, though. I'm also curious about how quail tastes. Are they gamey? How big do they get?

The egg candler me and the kids made out of scap wood. This way I dont have a heart attack while they try to hold a egg and a flash light and not drop anything.....

Last edited:
Awesome candler! How did you make it? I distracted myself today by working on the new chicken/duck coop. More birds, bigger coop! It's coming along pretty well. I'll have to post pictures in the coop forum section. AND my silkie went broody, so she's getting some very nice quality eggs to sit on. My extra bator is getting set up - I'll be taking two or three from her before they hatch to raise myself, and if she decides to get up, I'll have the bator ready just in case.

Awesome candler! How did you make it? I distracted myself today by working on the new chicken/duck coop. More birds, bigger coop! It's coming along pretty well. I'll have to post pictures in the coop forum section. AND my silkie went broody, so she's getting some very nice quality eggs to sit on. My extra bator is getting set up - I'll be taking two or three from her before they hatch to raise myself, and if she decides to get up, I'll have the bator ready just in case.
I made it out of scraps of wood I had from my scroll sawing projects. The bottom and the long sides are 1/2 inch plywood where the top and the ends are 1/4 oak plywood. I grabed a old lamp and tore it down and the whole is 1 1/4. I also lined the inter with chrome duct tape. Here are some pics of it in action by the way I can't tell if they are looking good yet or not.

Back
Top Bottom