Setting eggs 6/11 and 7/4 - Join me!

I'm kind of worried that we might only get one. Has anyone introduced a chick to a non-broody silkie and had it go well? We have a hen that is the sweetest thing, but not broody at the time. I'd rather the hen take on the chick than buy one (we have others in the incubator) or carry it in my bra all day.

Never had it go well here, but you can stay nearby after putting them together and watch. I mean, if she's a nice bird (we don't really have many nice chickens), then she might take it on, especially if she's raised chicks before. You could also just hang tight until your others hatch- I had one lone chick that hatched the very first time I ever incubated, but I knew I had others coming shortly. I had to keep them separated by a clear wall for the first day or two (until the newbies got their legs under them) but they did just fine even being a little over a week apart.

Here we go...the seven which made it through and hatched for me, out of 11 fertile eggs. Love the rainbow of colors!

Congrats on beautiful babies !!!!
jumpy.gif

I ended up with 27 hatching! But 2 of them died. 12 Polish Crested, 8 Silkies, 2 Buff Brahms's, and 3 Buckeyes!
So strange that we both locked down 35 out of 48 and I also had 27 hatch !!! #27 was born blind tho and eventually died the next day :( Your are adorable. Congrats !!!

We've had no luck. I haven't seen any movement, no pips, etc. I am pretty sure two are dead, and I think the other quit. I'll give it tomorrow before we check, but I'm not hopeful. Sucks to spend for the eggs, and expect little chicks. :( (I know it is a gamble with shipped eggs...but still.) Hopefully the other two lots of eggs are doing well. I'll candle those tomorrow if nothing has happened with the showgirl egg that was viable at lock down.

We've had no luck. I haven't seen any movement, no pips, etc. I am pretty sure two are dead, and I think the other quit. I'll give it tomorrow before we check, but I'm not hopeful. Sucks to spend for the eggs, and expect little chicks. :( (I know it is a gamble with shipped eggs...but still.) Hopefully the other two lots of eggs are doing well. I'll candle those tomorrow if nothing has happened with the showgirl egg that was viable at lock down.
Sorry
sad.png
I had 5 hatch out of 30 eggs that were shipped. I think it was because it was my first hatch - I didn't know what I was doing. And because they were shipped. I got this batch from a local breeder and am having a much better hatch rate.

I sit at about 7000 feet in elevation and hatching eggs is a huge, huge gamble. I hate spending so much money on eggs and not having any make it. That happened with some south american fowl I ordered. of the 15 sent, none of them made it. I am now on my 20th day for some shipped silkie eggs. so far, one is starting to pip. some weren't fertile but she had sent enough that i am very happy with the ones that she did send.

now it's just wait and see. :)

Back
Top Bottom