Setting eggs, anyone want to join me? Hatch-Along

howfunkyisurchicken

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Tn
I told myself (and my DH!) "I wont hatch anymore eggs this year," then January 1st came and went, and I can't stand it anymore :gig I really was holding out for a broody, but Spring is so far away (whines). So, its gonna happen. I'm experimenting this time, however. One of my Silkies just started laying last week, and I want some cute fuzzies. So, not only am I incubating pullet eggs, but I had also put them in the fridge. So, they may be double doomed to not make it (the very case I made to hubby- "I'm bored, and they probably wont hatch anyway"). So, I figure I'll let them come to room temperature over night and set them tomorrow. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I leave them to sit out longer? I'm also hoping to get another egg or two to go with them :) SO, anyone wanna be my hatching buddy? PLEEZE, PLEEZE, PLEEZE!?!?!?
Nikki

I just put a dozen of mixed breeds in the bator yesterday and I said the same thing when I unplugged it 4 days ago, Im not hatching anymore and then a couple down the road bought the first 8 I hatched, so 1/25 they will go into lock down

Barb

My bator is warming up, my egglets are marked (no fancy turning tray here) and waiting to go in. I was really hoping for at least one more egg to stick in there, but Nope. I gave the girls some oatmeal with a very ripe banana for breakfast and they gave me nuthin'. I also shined some light into them and most are pretty porous :/ so I guess now they're triple doomed. Ah well, let my science experiment commence (after the bator heats up. Yes, I get THIS excited everytime I set eggs :D )!
Nikki

Awww shoot u mean I have Bator disease.........
hide.gif

I have a Q..... I have a few silkies and I never see any of my silkies breeding with the other chickens or the other chickens breeding with my hen silkie...so they only breed with there own kind?

@ oletymer - I think all chickens breed with other breeds it just might be your roosters prefrence. :)

I guess I can can join you guys! I just set some eggs on the new years eve and a few more on the 7th! I have 7 incubating right now, and they are pullet eggs too. Two out of the 7 are slightly porous.:/ all are developing good! Hatch dates are 1/21 and 1/25!:D wish me luck!

Last edited:
@ oletymer - I think all chickens breed with other breeds it just might be your roosters prefrence. :)
I guess I can can join you guys! I just set some eggs on the new years eve and a few more on the 7th! I have 7 incubating right now, and they are pullet eggs too. Two out of the 7 are slightly porous.:/ all are developing good! Hatch dates are 1/21 and 1/25!:D wish me luck!

Welcome aboard :) I only set 7 as well, so maybe its our lucky number! Glad to hear they're doing well even though they're porous, that gives me some hope! The last porous eggs I set ended up being pitched bc they didn't do diddly squat. :fl for you!
Nikki
Which breeds are you hatching?

Back
Top Bottom