Setting eggs, anyone want to join me?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Jan 8, 2013.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I told myself (and my DH!) "I wont hatch anymore eggs this year," then January 1st came and went, and I can't stand it anymore :gig I really was holding out for a broody, but Spring is so far away (whines). So, its gonna happen. I'm experimenting this time, however. One of my Silkies just started laying last week, and I want some cute fuzzies. So, not only am I incubating pullet eggs, but I had also put them in the fridge. So, they may be double doomed to not make it (the very case I made to hubby- "I'm bored, and they probably wont hatch anyway"). So, I figure I'll let them come to room temperature over night and set them tomorrow. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I leave them to sit out longer? I'm also hoping to get another egg or two to go with them :) SO, anyone wanna be my hatching buddy? PLEEZE, PLEEZE, PLEEZE!?!?!?
    Nikki

2. oletymer

oletymer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    I just put a dozen of mixed breeds in the bator yesterday and I said the same thing when I unplugged it 4 days ago, Im not hatching anymore and then a couple down the road bought the first 8 I hatched, so 1/25 they will go into lock down

Barb

3. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sending some happy hatching vibes your way! Good luck!
    Nikki

4. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    Incubation, it's not a hobby, it's a disease!

5. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    :gig SO true!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My bator is warming up, my egglets are marked (no fancy turning tray here) and waiting to go in. I was really hoping for at least one more egg to stick in there, but Nope. I gave the girls some oatmeal with a very ripe banana for breakfast and they gave me nuthin'. I also shined some light into them and most are pretty porous :/ so I guess now they're triple doomed. Ah well, let my science experiment commence (after the bator heats up. Yes, I get THIS excited everytime I set eggs :D )!
    Nikki

7. oletymer

May 29, 2012
    Awww shoot u mean I have Bator disease.........[​IMG]

8. oletymer

May 29, 2012
    I have a Q..... I have a few silkies and I never see any of my silkies breeding with the other chickens or the other chickens breeding with my hen silkie...so they only breed with there own kind?

9. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    @ oletymer - I think all chickens breed with other breeds it just might be your roosters prefrence. :)

I guess I can can join you guys! I just set some eggs on the new years eve and a few more on the 7th! I have 7 incubating right now, and they are pullet eggs too. Two out of the 7 are slightly porous.:/ all are developing good! Hatch dates are 1/21 and 1/25!:D wish me luck!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  10. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Welcome aboard :) I only set 7 as well, so maybe its our lucky number! Glad to hear they're doing well even though they're porous, that gives me some hope! The last porous eggs I set ended up being pitched bc they didn't do diddly squat. :fl for you!
    Nikki
    Which breeds are you hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by