1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting eggs anyone want to join?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs.brown, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I'm an old timer hatching addict! [​IMG] I set some EE's last night..can I join..love the hatch alongs..tried on another, and it doesn't look to be doing much..let's make this fun! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Here we go..again [​IMG]... for us all so far.
    Glad you started this Mrs. Brown. [​IMG]

2. AZ Birds

AZ Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    its great to have a old timer hatching along for us newbies probably will have a couple questions along the way.

3. BetsyB0101

BetsyB0101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    I set Salmon Faverolle eggs last night! I will join you! I have them in a brinsea incubator with digital humidity control. I love my incubator! Hoping for a great hatch!

4. bugsaroo

bugsaroo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Roseville, Illinois
    Grrr. Had a bug, literally in the tube from the holding bucket to the humidity tray. Now I have water, humidity has gone from 18% to 30% in 5 minutes. Temperature perfect at 99.8. If the humidity jumps here in the next hour or so to where I want it I will be starting 30 eggs. I try not to get anxious, too many chicks too early, I have trouble keeping them warm. But just bought a heavy 5 shelf metal unit from Menards, 8 light fixtures, a roll of hardware cloth. Going to fashion some drawers 2 foot square, 8 total for a brooder. Drawers will have a metal tray to make clean up easier. Three sides of the shelves will be paneling that can be removed for summer hatches. I'm ready! Oh, I starting 5 buff orpingtons, 8 dominiques, 9 cochin frizzzles and 8 bantam rhode island reds. Checking my new roos for fertility.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I have 19 mixed breed eggs. Hoping to hatch out some mutts!
    In those nineteen I also have a cracked egg. How can I seal it up? I've used wax before but that egg got bacteria on it a day after.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Oh I am so excited to be hatching a mixed batch myself!! I have almost the same number as you do. Good luck everyone! I feel like a featherless hen.

7. Cpntherfan

Cpntherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Lancaster S.C
    ok i found out what was wrong with my humidity, my hygrometer has to go inside the incubator lol. Even though it has a inside/outside reading, it only works for the temp. lol So now im getting Humidity down [​IMG]

8. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Wow! I'd say it sounds like you are ready!! [​IMG] Good luck.

9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Yep, that thing needs to be inside the baotor! Is it digital? They do say inside outside on it them sometimes, can be confusing if you haven't used them before. Where do you keep your humidity? I like the mid 40's area. If it gets down to the 30's, I don't worry about it. In fact, I don't worry too much about the humidity until it gets way down there at times during the incubation period, but then during lock down, I keep it around 65...68. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. AZ Birds

AZ Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    im also hatching mutts cant wait to see what they look like. probably wont be keeping them though. i only want pure buff orpington in my flock now but the ones i have are still to young to breed so the mutts will have to do for practice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by