Setting eggs in lock down in a cut down carton

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
This is my thrird time using my incubator. 1st time was quail, 2nd time was 24 chickens (3 clear eggs and 2 DOA). So lockdown will begin for me tomorrow evening. I have 24 brown eggs in the bator, 3 of which seem to be clear. I'll double check the three I've marked as possible clears, and pull them if they indeed are non performers.

I've heard of folks cutting down egg cartons and setting eggs in them for the final lockdown period. Please explain this, and if you have photos, that would be great. Any reasoning as why this is done would also be helpful.

I can always just set them in the bator on their sides after I remove the turner, but if there is a benefit to setting them in a carton, I'd be open to try that as well.

Many thanks!

I use cartons to hatch in, but I've never cut them down at all and they hatch just fine. I cut the lids off and that's it. My hatch rate improved when I started doing it this way. I've been doing it this way for at least 3 years.

I use the cartons for hatching, too. I just try to use the ones that are shorter in height. It keeps the eggs from getting bumped and rolled over by the already hatched babies. I also candle to see where air cell is and then I can adjust how the egg sits in the box. I always write on the tops of the eggs, and when they hatch this way, I can save the egg "lids" with the info and match 'em up to the babies.

The babies seem to like to sit in the cups to rest, too.

The cartons also will absorb humidity, so if you have trouble keeping humidity up, spray the cartons with water before you set the eggs, just don't get them too wet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Hatching is going well. Used the styrofoam egg containers, cut them down by removing the top 1/3, and then removed the bottom of the cup. Chicks seem to be hatching well. 13 of 21 eggs showing pips or have hatched.

Well, when I take mine out of the turner, I set them on the wire rack on their side...... so how do I set them in the egg cartons? up and down or on their side?

Back
Top Bottom