Setting eggs july 13 anyone else setting today, I need a buddy

Well, I'm a little sad. The one that pipped on the wrong end was dead when I got home. I debated with myself as to whether or not I should help it when I first discovered it and chose not to. Next time I will help right away in that particular situation. This is the second chick I've had do that, the other one was in my last batch. Last time I didn't discover that it had pipped at the wrong end until way too late because I was testing out hatching in cartons. I've come to the conclusion that I'd be better off helping them out when they've pipped the wrong way as they clearly don't seem to be successful getting out on their own.

On the upside I had another pip last night and it was zipping this morning. My boyfriend called when I was on the way to work to let me know that it had gotten out. I think it might be a Lav! Woo hoo! I also had a white Silkie pipped when I left, so hoping for another one out when I get home
big_smile.png

I tried dry incubating this time and that has not gone well for me at our new house. I don't think I'll do that again. I'm trying to keep a close eye on the hatching process with these because the membranes are really dry. Luckily the little guy this morning seems to have gotten out ok but I won't be surprised if I have to intervene on one or more of the others. I've got my humidity way up now so hopefully that will help although it's pretty late in the game. I'll post pics of my little one when I get home and take them. Hopefully it'll be all fluffed up and have a companion or two as well
smile.png

Quote:
He's had a long strange trip...he's tired. It might take him a day or two until he's walking normally too. His legs have been folded up in there for a few weeks so it take times for things to straighten out and for them to start zooming. If all you've ever seen are hatchery chicks, they are a few days old so they have their legs and are so energetic, the ones you hatch yourself will look weaker. They just need time.
smile.png

jettgirl24 -- sorry for your loss, I have been there more than once.

my 8 hatchlings are doing good. here is today's picture.
99817_pict0512.jpg

If is hard to get them all to smile at the same time. lol

Scott (Bugg)
my son just asked me if this site is "like facebook for chickens?"

Thank you ReikiStar, That's just what i needed to hear. I'm at work now and i keep worrying about him. I hope he's not the only one that hatches. My other chick are about 5 weeks old so I don't think i'll be able to put him with them. Not sure what I can do I know he can not be alone.

Hi Reikistar,

It's a Salmon Faverolle Chick.

I did just notice that one more eggs was moving when I got home so that is a good sign. Also it's only 20 days at midnight tonight so I guess more could happen. Thanks so much for you thoughts.

I candled right before lockdown and the one that hatched was very dark and took up most of the shell, The other SF I could see a dark mass and veins put no movement so I wasn't sure, I have 3 blue splash marans eggs that I haven't seen anything from the beginning but I do swear that they have gotten somewhat darker so I left them in just in case. The other that is moving I really didn't have much hope for but it's proving me wrong, I thought I saw some red in that egg...thought maybe it had developed and died but again being so new to this I didn't want to throw away any eggs that stood any chance at all.

here are the two baby chicks i hatched
99818_002.jpg

99818_003.jpg

not sure how we got the black one cause he is a pic of the mom and dad

99818_004.jpg

99818_016.jpg

idunno.gif
still not sure

Back
Top Bottom