Setting eggs on 3/7. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MEMama3, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I'm setting some eggs on Friday and was wondering if anyone is interested in hatching along side me. The more the merrier.

I have a dozen eggs that are a frizzled columbian wyandotte roo and various hens (BCM, BO, RIR, EE and australorp). I may have some assorted bantams going in as well. What are you hatching out?

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll join [​IMG] I've got 2 dozen BR going in Friday and possibly a dozen of something else, haven't decided yet.

3. AlabamaChick88

AlabamaChick88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Pinckard, AL
    I'll join! I'll be setting 12 speckled sussex eggs on Friday! Got them on eBay... so I'm praying they do well!

4. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Yeah!

5. AlabamaChick88

Mar 3, 2014
    Pinckard, AL
    Yall have any advice on hatching shipped eggs?? I guess I won't know what to expect viability wise until they get here and I see how well they were packed.
    Should I get them in the bator right away, or let them rest a day? They should arrive Thursday, but I was planning to wait until Friday to set since i have some in there now that shouldnt be done hatching until Thursday morning probably.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  6. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I would definitely let them sit for a day. Candle to see what you're dealing with, then let them sit until Friday.

7. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I would let them rest. I haven't used shipped eggs, but I saw a great article on here about them and dealing with saddle air cells which is a big risk with shipped eggs. I'll see if I can find the link.

8. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
  9. AlabamaChick88

Mar 3, 2014
    Pinckard, AL
    Awesome! Thank you!

10. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I'm working out some temp/humidity issues right now so I'm all set for Thursday. My dear friend who is collecting for me said she sat in the coop all morning to be positive I was getting at least one wyandotte egg. She's so sweet. My ideal chicks to keep out of this hatch would be a frizzled maran and a smooth or frizzled wyandotte. I'm trying to picture what a frizzled columbian wyandotte would look like with their black collars.

Does everyone else have their incubators warming up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by