Setting eggs on 3/7. Anyone else?

MEMama3

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Vacation Land; Maine
I'm setting some eggs on Friday and was wondering if anyone is interested in hatching along side me. The more the merrier.

I have a dozen eggs that are a frizzled columbian wyandotte roo and various hens (BCM, BO, RIR, EE and australorp). I may have some assorted bantams going in as well. What are you hatching out?

I'll join
big_smile.png
I've got 2 dozen BR going in Friday and possibly a dozen of something else, haven't decided yet.

Yall have any advice on hatching shipped eggs?? I guess I won't know what to expect viability wise until they get here and I see how well they were packed.
Should I get them in the bator right away, or let them rest a day? They should arrive Thursday, but I was planning to wait until Friday to set since i have some in there now that shouldnt be done hatching until Thursday morning probably.

Last edited:
Yall have any advice on hatching shipped eggs?? I guess I won't know what to expect viability wise until they get here and I see how well they were packed.
Should I get them in the bator right away, or let them rest a day? They should arrive Thursday, but I was planning to wait until Friday to set since i have some in there now that shouldnt be done hatching until Thursday morning probably.

I would definitely let them sit for a day. Candle to see what you're dealing with, then let them sit until Friday.

I would let them rest. I haven't used shipped eggs, but I saw a great article on here about them and dealing with saddle air cells which is a big risk with shipped eggs. I'll see if I can find the link.

I'm working out some temp/humidity issues right now so I'm all set for Thursday. My dear friend who is collecting for me said she sat in the coop all morning to be positive I was getting at least one wyandotte egg. She's so sweet. My ideal chicks to keep out of this hatch would be a frizzled maran and a smooth or frizzled wyandotte. I'm trying to picture what a frizzled columbian wyandotte would look like with their black collars.

Does everyone else have their incubators warming up?

Back
Top Bottom