Setting eggs on 3/7. Anyone else?

On the 3rd I set 16 eggs from my flock of New Hampshire hens and red sex link hens with a bared rock as the fertilizer roo. It's my first go at using an incubator. One of my neighbors wants to start a new flock so she let me use it for a few chicks once I get it right. It's a LG still air. It's running at 100 on the grate and 102 at the top of the eggs 40 to 41% humidity. Turning by hand till she can find the turner and fan kit. Her husband passed and she has no idea where the air and turner kit is at. If I can manage a couple good hatches I'll be in the market for some hatching eggs. She wants some gold nugget eggs ( I never herd of them) and I'm wanting ameruicanas. I'll post again on day 7 when I do my fist candling.

Last edited:
What are you using for a thermometer? I found that I had a lot of difficulty with maintaining temps when I increased humidity for lock down. I'm wondering if the digital thermometers go wonky with increased humidity. The other issue that I'm left to ponder is that my thermostat gets thrown off with high humidity... but it shouldn't as it was designed for incubators. I'll be doing a week of testing before I set eggs this time!

I'm using an acurite also. I seem to be having no issues yet but I haven't tried to raise the humidity. I been reading on this site that people are incubating at dry all the way to 55% till lock down then 65 to 75%. So not sure how 41 to 43% will do for the first 18 days.

Looks like I'll be setting tomorrow instead of Friday. My eggs showed up this morning. So I'll be setting them tomorrow evening.
I'll also be doing a VERY late stage staggered hatch apparenty. My current eggs are due to hatch today thru tomorrow.... lol a little poor planning on my part.
Sooo incredibly eggcited about my speckled sussex eggs though!

I'm using an acurite also. I seem to be having no issues yet but I haven't tried to raise the humidity. I been reading on this site that people are incubating at dry all the way to 55% till lock down then 65 to 75%. So not sure how 41 to 43% will do for the first 18 days.

That should be fine. I think it's most important during lockdown.

Looks like I'll be setting tomorrow instead of Friday. My eggs showed up this morning. So I'll be setting them tomorrow evening.
I'll also be doing a VERY late stage staggered hatch apparenty. My current eggs are due to hatch today thru tomorrow.... lol a little poor planning on my part.
Sooo incredibly eggcited about my speckled sussex eggs though!

If the shipped eggs are super fresh, I'd wait until the first batch is done. One more day shouldn't affect hatch rate. Just my thoughts.

For those of you using an Accurite: Don't trust that it's Accurate or Right! I think that's what I used, and it was 1.5 degrees off from a medical thermometer. So I used a medical thermometer as my standard, and did the math to decide what the actual 100 degrees was, and adjusted accordingly.

For those of you using an Accurite: Don't trust that it's Accurate or Right! I think that's what I used, and it was 1.5 degrees off from a medical thermometer. So I used a medical thermometer as my standard, and did the math to decide what the actual 100 degrees was, and adjusted accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom