Setting eggs on 3/7. Anyone else?

Oh yea, I have a turner. And I candled 20 at a time over a period of three hours to keep the temps in the incubator from fluctuating too much. Was really cool to see the development, and could tell there were some cooler spots in the bator from the variances in the eggs. I have moved them to the more consistent areas.

Has anyone candled yet? I did mine last night. Out of 19 set (I threw in one from my brown leghorn): 1 had a blood ring, 1 appears to be delayed (possibly quit) and 2 need to be rechecked in a couple days because I can't say for sure they're infertile. The other 15 look great.

Last edited:
I'll probably candle on Monday. They're brown eggs, so they'll be hard to see for a while, I try not to get overly enthusiastic
roll.png

I have 12 White Chantecler, 7 Buff Chantecler, 12 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 16 Gold Laced Wyandotte. I'm a first timer remember lol...so I'm trying to be patient. I did try candling 6 eggs yesterday. Just random ones, and from what I could tell 5 of them are looking promising and 1 looks empty.

On that note, I had only ordered 36 eggs, but because the lady was unsure of the fertility (we were having -50C weather), she sent extras. I'm super excited and HATE waiting for things. We are also waiting for puppies which are due by the 14th. So my anxiety level is quite high these days. HA!

I might try candling more in a couple days and see how many more look clear. 47 eggs is a lot to candle for a newbie. But boy was it exciting to see the veins!!

I candled yesterday and out of 16 one was clear. When we cracked it open it had an eye ball but nothing else I might of jumped the gun also my wife dropped one and that one had a head 2 eyeballs start of a beak limbs and a heart. So now I'm down to 14 but all looking good hope it stays that way.

I have a Genesis Hova-bator 1588 with automatic turner. I set 35 eggs of various breeds including, black copper marans, EE's, white leghorns, wellsummers, red sex link, and a few different breeds of game bantams. We went in on Sunday March 9th at 3pm. Today is day 3 and humidity dropped to 22% so I added water and took a moment to candle just one of the leghorns and saw red veins. This is my first hatch with an incubator and it is for a 4H project. The kids will come back up here on Sunday and we will candle eggs then. So far so good! I know I shouldn't, but I can't help getting excited!!! Can't wait to hear how everyone's story goes!! Good luck to all!
CJ

Ty it's my first go at incubation so need all the luck I can get. I cheated today and bought 5 buff orphington pullets from southern states. I should never go where they have chicks as I'm like a kid and can't leave without a few lol.
I know what you're saying. I went to a poultry swap last weekend. I intended to get 3 hens OR 3 ducks. I came home with 3 hens AND 2 ducks AND a guinea pig. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom