Setting eggs on Thurs. Nov. 10th - Any buddies? Hatch due Dec. 1st

I can't wait to see what they look like in about 6 months! I have eggs from indigo that arrived Saturday. They weren't marked so it will be better than Christmas morning when they start hatching, to see what colors errupt from the eggs. I think getting different colors is my favorite part! My flock only threw shades of blue. So come spring they all will be taken to auction.

107336_2011-11-21_18-27-31_212.jpg

Fluffy butts are growing!

I candled again today - out of 41 eggs that I set, there are only 18 that definitely had movement inside - and a few that were too difficult to see clearly. Not spectacular percentages - but almost all of them were shipped eggs. So if I can get 18 chicks out of the hatch, I'll be happy.

I just wanted to see how everyone's incubating was going?!?! So far so good for me, last night at the end of day 12 my original 5 definite growths are still doing great, 1 of the smaller growths is now a definite while my cracked baby seems to be a quitter, & the other 11 appear to all be clears still... Heres a pic & a video from last night!!

105510_dsc01572.jpg

&& here's the video

Great video! last night I candled again the ones I was pretty certain weren't viable. I ended up tossing 7 of them. I opened them, and six never developed at all, and the seventh looked like it developed for maybe a week and then quit. So that leaves 34 eggs in the bator. I fairly certain there are at least 5 or 6 other quitters, but the shells are too dark to see clearly. So I will leave them in. Hatch day is just a week from tomorrow! I'm happy that I have at least two or three of each breed developing.

Quote:
I'm glad that your 5 definite troopers are still doing good. I'm sorry about your cracked one. My cracked one is still living as is my other 11 of 12, most with detached air sacs.
fl.gif
The following statements are my opinion. I am no expert. But, I think your air sac looks pretty small for Day 12. If it were me, I would run dry until Day 18 or at least lower the humidity to somewhere around 30%. I would do some searching about this or ask the expert's opinions. You only have 5 days to affect the air sacs. It is important that you have enough evaporation at Day 18, so that the air sac is large enough to provide breathing air for the chick and to prevent drowning. Here's a diagram that you can go by. I hope you have a successful hatch.

On my first hatch, I had small air sacs at Day 14. It was suggested that I run dry from then until Day 18. I did that and hatched 6 out of 7 that went into lock down. The one that didn't make it still had a small air sac. I don't think it had enough evaporation due to a dense shell.

p1150-5.gif

Last edited:
I so glad to see the chocolate eggs are in there! I'll be watching this thread! Yipee!!!!
PLEASE POST PICS OF WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE WHEN THEY HATCH!
I'm dying to see my GRANDCHICKS.....LOL!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom