Setting Eggs Saturday April 20... anyone else?

Update. I been more closely keeping to the May thread But figured I would post here also since I started to.

Up to 24 chicks in the brooder and a few late starts and 1 that hasn't absorbed egg sack fully. Gonna keep a close eye on it so othrs don't bother him/her to much. Looks like the bator gonna stay going a couple days for late guys.......

Number 25 is out and tryin fluff up. Checked bator before I submitted post. GL all on those still hatching.

We had 15 eggs of 25 pip and all have hatched. Had to help with 2--both had started zipping and other chicks broke shell off as they walked over them and widened zips. Chicks feet started to protrude and were not able to turn inside egg and continue zipping. Both are doing great.

The last chick pipped 23 hours before it started to zip....was making us nervous. But zipped and hatched in 30 minutes.

Doesn't look like any pips in other 10 so going to make a quick grab of egg shells. Leaving chicks in for another day to dry.

We are happy with the hatch so far. We have got 3 Barnevelders, 3 Ameraucana, 4 Australorp, and 5 Marans.

Pics to follow...

Okay my first attempt at incubating eggs. Well...I originally put in 26 eggs. At day 18 when I locked down, upon candling, three of those were a goner. Took those out so that left 23. As of yesterday morning, all but four had hatched. I took out the chicks and moved to the brooder. Left the other four eggs in. Then I noticed my thermostat in my bator. I have a genesis 1588 (best reviews that I found for a small styro bator). It's control panel cycles through: set temp, current temp inside, and humidity %. The display was just showing that it was set at 103 degrees and not cycling through the rest. Now, it came preset at 100 degrees and I had not touched ANYTHING! I am just glad this didn't happen earlier! I unpluged, restarted, everything. Nothing would make it reset or change. Needless to say, I will be calling tomorrow morning!

I left the four eggs in till this morning and took them out. I couldn't stand the smell of the bator in my house anymore. Cracked the eggs, two with no formation, two with fully formed chicks that had not absorbed the yolk yet.

Can anyone tell me what day they take in the yolk? I just hope I didn't bake those poor chicks in their shell.

All in all, very happy with my first try. 73% hatch rate is not bad for a first shot. Live and Learn and hopefully get my bator working right!

Acreed if I remember correctly the yolk sack is normally absorbed withing the last 24 hrs. Which can also finish after hatch or pipping. Just needs be kept clean and protected from damage. I have 1 in bator now cuz his sac hasn't absorbed yet. Will it make it IDK but I never toss or cull a bird unless its 100% gone. It is the only 1 out of shell still in the bator unless he gets company in the next 12 hrs he should be unmolested and see if he heals up.

Thanks! So if they had not taken in the yolk, the heat the last morning didn't kill them. I am going to have to find out what is going on with my bator.

We had 15 eggs of 25 pip and all have hatched. Had to help with 2--both had started zipping and other chicks broke shell off as they walked over them and widened zips. Chicks feet started to protrude and were not able to turn inside egg and continue zipping. Both are doing great.

The last chick pipped 23 hours before it started to zip....was making us nervous. But zipped and hatched in 30 minutes.

Doesn't look like any pips in other 10 so going to make a quick grab of egg shells. Leaving chicks in for another day to dry.

We are happy with the hatch so far. We have got 3 Barnevelders, 3 Ameraucana, 4 Australorp, and 5 Marans.

Pics to follow...

Congrts!! I only go the one.... how did veryon else o? picures plese...

hres y little one....

Marley a molted lav orp... yea!!!

Back
Top Bottom