Setting Eggs Sept. 24th-Oct. 4th-Last Hatch of the Year. Anyone care to join me?

My Buff Orpington just went broody on Monday Sept. 24th so I put 8 eggs under her (she may have one from a last lay). This is our first broody and our first hatch. So excited. She is a 7mnth BO and sitting on 3 maybe 4 pure BO eggs and 5 Red Production/BO eggs. We'll see how it goes- nervous but excited. :)

How exciting for you!!! Looks like you will be one of our first hatches on the thread.

Kel that will be 3 of us with the same day!!!
oh yeah i forgot that u had got ur eggs aswell now so thats us 3 on the same hatch day
ya.gif

Got mine this morning too!!! I was a little concerned when I got to the post office because one of the corners of the box was a little crushed. Chewed my nails all the way home expecting to find busted eggs everywhere. I opened the box and breathed a sigh of relief. Because the sender did such a great at packing them that not one egg cracked or broke. She even threw in an extra 3 eggs!!! I candled all of them and ALL aircells intact. I'll be putting them in the bator later tonight.

I was kind of ticked off when the clerk shoved the box up on the counter sideways. It had big GREEN THIS END UP and FRAGILE written all over it. I told her this is a fragile shipment and it shows you this end up. She said I had to turn it that way to scan it which was and out and out lie. She could have lifted the gun type scanner up with her hand......DUH!!!!
somad.gif
I haven't candled mine yet, guess I should.
Does it still count if we have our fingers crossed behind our backs?
lau.gif

Oh NOOOOOOO that negates EVERYTHING!!!!!
woot.gif

Last edited:
Kel35 I know you said you got assorted colors in your silkie eggs. Which colors did you get? I got Lavender and Porcelain this time.

Brookhavens have you taken any pictures of your new silkie babies yet and what color are yours?

I didn't see this thread when I posted mine, and nobody replied to mine. I am the forum newbie with no friends. lol! Do you mind if I sit with you?
idunno.gif

My eggs should have been here today but alas, they were not. I'm hoping for tomorrow, and then I will let them sit for 12 hours and put them in the bator.
Hey Chicky Glad to have you
We are all pretty new for the most part. You will love the hatch threads but warning... its addiciting .i dont even have eggs to hatch and i am still on here lurking!
welcome-byc.gif

I was kind of ticked off when the clerk shoved the box up on the counter sideways. It had big GREEN THIS END UP and FRAGILE written all over it. I told her this is a fragile shipment and it shows you this end up. She said I had to turn it that way to scan it which was and out and out lie. She could have lifted the gun type scanner up with her hand......DUH!!!!
somad.gif
I haven't candled mine yet, guess I should.

Oh NOOOOOOO that negates EVERYTHING!!!!!
woot.gif

I have learned to candle shipped eggs before you start so you know what types of aircells you are dealing with. It also helps to see if there are any hairline cracks or how porous the shells are. I always write down details about each egg so that I know what I started with when it is later in the hatch.

Yes by crossing our fingers it means we are telling a fib that this is our last hatch.

I'm not entirely sure what I am getting to be honest o.o I went completely crazy and started ordering eggs left and right and I don't remember how many I have coming. I thought it was 16 until I had a new e-mail update from one of the breeders saying my eggs had been sent, and it wasn't one of the other three that I had contacted. I also have a bid on some hatching eggs and I forgot about those too.

I got all confused about what I had, so I had to go back to my e-mail and other correspondence to write down the exact numbers....this is staggering. What the fowl am I going to do with all these chicks?
hu.gif

Blue Silkies x3
White Silkies x3
Swedish Flower Hen x12 (it was the minimum amount I could order, that's my story and I'm sticking to it)
Isbar x3

Frizzle hopefuls (frizzle/smooth pairings, so what I'll get I don't know yet)

Sultan x1
Cochin x1
Wyandotte x1
Polish x1

I could have sworn the numbers of each kind were different, but when I looked at the order logs - this is what I calculated.

Sooooo..unless I have even more orders out there that I forgot about, we have a grand total of 25 hatching eggs on the way, and my husband and I agreed that we are only to have a maximum of 3 pullets. What am I going to do with all these baby chickies? The Farmer's Market closes it's doors in my town on October 31st and there will be 2 Farmer's Markets left in the season after our chicks hatch - so I guess I will go there with all the additional chickies. lol
HAHAHA
lau.gif
Have you hatched before?
You already are a hatch addicted..... like us!! Very Funny 3 pullets...
TRY CRAIGS LIST. or ebay classified to sell.
Free to list.
Or ... Hey....XMAS PRESENTS?
Are these all shipped?

lau.gif
I wish! Ha! Ha! Ha!! I wouldn't have to buy any presents EVER again!!!!

Roxanne are you SURE you don't want to start another batch??? Really we are all saying this is our LAST one!!!
gig.gif
Fur N God i would L----OV----E to ...but may have a load of puppies coming in 8 weeks and more chicks to take care of ?Just cant do it.
AAAHHH!!! WANT TOO!!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom