Setting eggs the week of May 7th (Here's to wishing the best this time)!!!!!!!!!

Go get em..... Ummmmmm, I'm assuming the next will be Tonto?
I hope we have one to name Tonto! Still no pip and it's day 23. How long should I wait until I turn off the incubator? Five eggs just sittin' there with one I could swear is rocking just a little bit. No peeping heard, though.
hu.gif

You might want to take them out and carefully take part of the tops off and see if any are alive. One time I had decided to do an eggtopsy on the eggs that didn't hatch and on day 23 found a live chick shrink wrapped in the unpipped egg
ep.gif
and it survived! It was VERY unusual though. Usually it means they didn't make it, but it is good to crack them open and see why. It will help you figure out what went wrong and you can try incubating differently next time
smile.png

I hope we have one to name Tonto! Still no pip and it's day 23. How long should I wait until I turn off the incubator? Five eggs just sittin' there with one I could swear is rocking just a little bit. No peeping heard, though.
hu.gif

This is my fourth time incubating, and my first time I consider it successfull. The first three were very disheartening but I have found the dry hatch method to be the best for me :)

This is my fourth time incubating, and my first time I consider it successfull. The first three were very disheartening but I have found the dry hatch method to be the best for me
smile.png
I did a dry hatch and I used the Brinsea Mini Advance. The eggs were shipped. Out of the original 10, 2 had blood rings and I tossed at day 10, 1 I tossed that I thought was clear and it was a growing baby
hit.gif
. One hatched yesterday morning. Of the remaining 5, 2 are extremely porous and have always looked clear to me, 2 look like blood rings and one I cannot see anything. The one I can't see anything in was a growing baby last week and I could swear it's been rocking. So disappointing and I'm not sure what we did wrong. Possibly the humidity was too high. It was never below 45 degrees, usually between 48 and 54 for days 1-18. Next time I think I will use a dehumidifier in the room.
hu.gif

That was my mistake the first several times..... The humdity day 1-18 should never be above 40/45, and like I said I was only succussful when I would keep it between 20-40.... That worked for me but it is trial and error until you find what is right for you.

My 1st Lemon Cuckoo Orp has made it's way into the world!!!!!
celebrate.gif

1 more is pipped, all 5 are rocking & tapping or peeping. My little Lemon has joined my 1st 5 babies in the brooder. They are 2 gorgeous Ameraucanas, 2 adorable Silkies, and my mystery chick that was supposed to be a Silkie but had pink skin with it's 5 toes has turned out to be a Mottled Houdan.

Apparently some of my eggs had gotten mis-marked. I ended up with 5 Houdan eggs mixed with my 3 Silkies, so the lady who shipped them is going to send me some more.

In addition to the 5 Lemons still in the bator, there are 6 Lavender Orps, 7 Call Ducks, 1 Assorted Orp, 1 Black East Indie Duck, 1 Mixed Bantam from my flock, 1 Silkie from my new Girls, and 7 Barnyard Mix including 2 BCM Mix.

I've also had a second hen go broody & join the 1st in her nestbox. Between the 2 of them they are sitting on 4 eggs: 1 belonging to my Sarah (the Mixed Banty Broody) and 3 additional BYM. All babies are due between now & June 24th, with an additional 2 dozen Silkies from CJ's Exotics and the replacement Silkies going in in the next 2 weeks along with a mixed shipment of Marans & Cochins.

Good thing I have 2 cages & a pet taxi I've gotten in the past 3 days, 3 more cages coming tomorrow morning & 3 to bring from my uncle's house as soon as I find a way to get them here. I'm running out of SPACE!!!!
ep.gif

OMG...in the couple minutes I took to write that last post The 2nd Lemon Cuckoo Orp went from barely pipped to completely hatched. Quick little booger...lol

I now have 7 healthy, peeping babies in the brooder to keep me awake all night & an 8th that is pipped & starting to zip
wee.gif

That was my mistake the first several times..... The humdity day 1-18 should never be above 40/45, and like I said I was only succussful when I would keep it between 20-40.... That worked for me but it is trial and error until you find what is right for you.

The room is going to need a dehumidifier then. Our humidity in Louisiana is just out of this world. We are hopefully going to get some hatching eggs locally the second time around too. Maybe a combination of the two will help us to be more successful. Meanwhile, Ranger (our only chick that hatched) is so sweet and calm. We want him to be a boy!

OMG...in the couple minutes I took to write that last post The 2nd Lemon Cuckoo Orp went from barely pipped to completely hatched. Quick little booger...lol

I now have 7 healthy, peeping babies in the brooder to keep me awake all night & an 8th that is pipped & starting to zip :weee

Fantastic! So exciting!

Well, my zipper took a break for a couple hours over night and I have another external pip & an internal one. The last little Lemon Cuckoo Orp is tapping away but not peeping yet. None of these 6 were even due yet until tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom