Setting eggs today 5-3-12...anyone with me?

No pips here yet, but one of the eggs is jumping around and my son swears he heard peeping. Hoping to get an early bird or two this evening, but we will see.
When did you set them? I set mine on the 3rd and they aren't due to hatch until about the 21st. I am on pins and needles waiting.......

I set chicken eggs on the morning of May 3rd. I am not expecting any to hatch until at least the 21st day which would be Wednesday the 23rd. I believe lockdown for me will be tomorrow evening, Sunday the 20th.

I replyed to the wrong thread.....Anyway Set eggs on the 1st and went into lockdown tonight and had the cat knocked everything over. 3 eggs cracked, and they were cold for a bit, Im so sad....my oldest grabbed one and started peeling the shell (not happy with that) so that one had a live baby :( the other two I put back in and are hoping they will be fine. They are Black Copper Marans, so 5 are left we will see......Hope everyone else has better luck!!

I replyed to the wrong thread.....Anyway Set eggs on the 1st and went into lockdown tonight and had the cat knocked everything over. 3 eggs cracked, and they were cold for a bit, Im so sad....my oldest grabbed one and started peeling the shell (not happy with that) so that one had a live baby :( the other two I put back in and are hoping they will be fine. They are Black Copper Marans, so 5 are left we will see......Hope everyone else has better luck!!

Oh no...I think as much as I love cats, I would be wanting to skin one if that happened to me. I hope your last five hatch. Are they your own BCM eggs, or did you buy them from somewhere? I am wanting to get some for my next go round in the incubator, but I am still deciding on who to get them from.

When did you set them? I set mine on the 3rd and they aren't due to hatch until about the 21st. I am on pins and needles waiting.......
I set mine on the evening of Sunday the 29th of April. Tomorrow is official hatch day. However, with my last two hatches, I had babies 12-24 hours before the actual hatch day. My incubator was running at 100.3 degrees. I turned it back this time to 99.6 and so maybe that's why it seems to be taking longer. I am just over anxious and checking too often. I want them to hatch this weekend while I can watch.

I set mine on the evening of Sunday the 29th of April. Tomorrow is official hatch day. However, with my last two hatches, I had babies 12-24 hours before the actual hatch day. My incubator was running at 100.3 degrees. I turned it back this time to 99.6 and so maybe that's why it seems to be taking longer. I am just over anxious and checking too often. I want them to hatch this weekend while I can watch.
I have been reading that higher incubation temps can supposedly change the 50/50 gender hatch rate. In your hatches of 100.3 have you noticed more girls than boys? Mine has been at 99.3-99.6 the whole time except during the cool down periods. I am just curious if there really is any truth to that theory.

I set chicken eggs on the morning of May 3rd. I am not expecting any to hatch until at least the 21st day which would be Wednesday the 23rd. I believe lockdown for me will be tomorrow evening, Sunday the 20th.
I set mine May 3rd at 6 pm. But I still figured lock down was on Tue. the 22nd. on day 19. I counted the next day as day one. Am I wrong? I have another group set to hatch the next week with lock down on the 30th.

I have been trying to get mine to hatch on the week end for three hatches now and end up with them doing it in the middle of the week when I have to be gone or cancel my art guild. I hate doing that because we are getting ready for a show. Next time I will count from the day I want them to hatch back. Maybe I can get it right then.
tongue.png
If you set them on the week end they should hatch on the week end. Right? I thought I tried that when I counted too. Anyway, these were shipped eggs so I had to let them set for a day out of the incubator. I got them on Wed so I set them on Thru with no turning for a few days. They were already at least three days old when I got them so I didn't want to wait too long.
I have so much trouble deciding which thermometer to believe. I have one that says 97 and one says 100 and one that say 100.3 and 100.6. the last is an indoor out door one and they are both different readings even though the sensors are both inside the bator. grrrrr

Last edited:
So sorry for your lose. That is so upsetting. It is bad enough when things go wrong naturally without something like this happening. Hope the rest hatch for you.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom