Setting eggs week of 7/13... Anyone with me??

Today is day 21 for my eggs, and I've still got nothing- not even 1 little pip. Usually by now I've at least woken up to a pip or chick. So disappointing. At this point, I'd be happy with just 1 baby :(

Finally have a moment (Just one) to breathe! I have 20 1/2 live chicks and 4 more pips in the bator. The 1/2 is a sad sad sad little guy who pipped, partially zipped and then waited 24 hours just sitting there until his membrane was glued to his head and neck. I finally "helped" him out this morning. OH MY GOODNESS it was like slow torture. I took a wet q-tip and tried so so so gently to moisten him and ease back the membrane without him bleeding. He bled 3 or 4 times, I wet him, stuck him back in the bator every time, came back in 1/2 an hour to an hour and tried again. He's completely out now, but he looks so weak, I'm really worried about him. He detached from his umbilical cord ok, but he has a little air space or something weird around his bellybutton.

Gonna have a coffee and then go see how he is. I have had no sleep in 2 days because I have been banding the little guys as they come out to keep track of who's chicks are who's! (3 owners) I get to pick 2 in the end to replace my roos LOL! I love this, but it's also sooo heartbreaking!

I have no idea what kind of chickens these all are. But they sure are cute!!! I'll post more pics of my favourites (One that looks like Dracula, another one like a penguin) If I ever manage to get dressed.

Willow

Willow so cute!!!!!!

Sorry for everybody having bad luck. I just opened the rest of my eggs, should have done it yesterday
sad.png
There were a few unfertile Marans eggs that I could not candle thru. There were 3 that I should have helped out yesterday. They were just too big to turn their heads, they were huge. Felt awful. I heard peeping yesterday and thought maybe I should help them out. You live you learn.

Anybody else with updates?

My replacement eggs arrived yesterday. Only 1 cracked. They were packed much better but it still looked like the Post Office used it for a soccer ball.

Willow so cute!!!!!!

Sorry for everybody having bad luck. I just opened the rest of my eggs, should have done it yesterday
sad.png
There were a few unfertile Marans eggs that I could not candle thru. There were 3 that I should have helped out yesterday. They were just too big to turn their heads, they were huge. Felt awful. I heard peeping yesterday and thought maybe I should help them out. You live you learn.

Anybody else with updates?

My replacement eggs arrived yesterday. Only 1 cracked. They were packed much better but it still looked like the Post Office used it for a soccer ball.
Awww I'm so sorry :( So sad for you! I felt the same way about my dried out gimpy one. I should have helped him before he was all bound up. I wish there was some way to know whats going on in there for sure!!!!
barnie.gif

When will you be starting your next batch?

Willow

Yes, I incubated my silkies eggs on 7/13. on 7/31 two hatched but one died. Today 8/2 another three hatched, they are very weak but seems to me that they will survive. one of them are black measuring 1 1/2 inch, so tiny! one is blue, the others are white. I think they all hatched premature.I still have five eggs in the incubator. Please, let me know how`s yours doing. I think silkies are so fragile to hatch. Hope yours are starting hatching by today or tomorrow.
Do you have pictures of your little babes? Have the last 5 hatched? So exciting!

Willow

Today is day 21 for my eggs, and I've still got nothing- not even 1 little pip. Usually by now I've at least woken up to a pip or chick. So disappointing. At this point, I'd be happy with just 1 baby :(

Ok, so I posted this up and left shortly after to run some errands (in a funk, mind you!). I just got home a little while ago, and as I was putting my groceries away I heard a "peep, peep", so of course I immediately pressed my nose to the window on my bator. Its official! I've FINALLY got my first pip! I felt so dejected this morning the last thing I wanted to do was be down again because my bator isn't doing anything. But its there, and its peeping and rocking and I'm back to being super excited again. I guess it never crossed my mind that I sat them later in the day then I usually do (um-dumb!). The first pip is in one of my B/B/S eggs, I can't wait to see what comes out!!! Go baby, go!!!

Today is day 21 for my eggs, and I've still got nothing- not even 1 little pip. Usually by now I've at least woken up to a pip or chick. So disappointing. At this point, I'd be happy with just 1 baby
sad.png
Sorry to hear. I have my fingers crossed for you and your peeps and hope they've decided to join the party a little late.

Ok, so I posted this up and left shortly after to run some errands (in a funk, mind you!). I just got home a little while ago, and as I was putting my groceries away I heard a "peep, peep", so of course I immediately pressed my nose to the window on my bator. Its official! I've FINALLY got my first pip! I felt so dejected this morning the last thing I wanted to do was be down again because my bator isn't doing anything. But its there, and its peeping and rocking and I'm back to being super excited again. I guess it never crossed my mind that I sat them later in the day then I usually do (um-dumb!). The first pip is in one of my B/B/S eggs, I can't wait to see what comes out!!! Go baby, go!!!
Whew! I started responding and went to get some coffee ... only to find that my last post was already too late! SOOOO glad to hear you have your first pip! I am relieved for you too! Hope all do very well!!!! Time to celebrate!!!!

Back
Top Bottom