Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

What does it mean if the contents in the egg appears very watery and I see it sloshing on the sides when I candle? (this is only my 2nd attempt with incubator so please forgive any dumb questions)

What did you see when you candled? Any veins? The eggs that I took out as infertiles and cooked for the chickens were very watery. I think that's because they are warm and less gelatinous but I'm not sure what you see sloshing around.

What did you see when you candled? Any veins? The eggs that I took out as infertiles and cooked for the chickens were very watery. I think that's because they are warm and less gelatinous but I'm not sure what you see sloshing around.

A couple looked clear and a couple had faint dark shadows. No visible veins in those eggs so far. My slightest movement caused the egg liquid to slosh around like holding a glass of water with shakey hand.
The ones that I believe are actively growing have veins and that little sea monkey dark spot that pulsates and seems to almost swim around when I hold the egg real still:)

Are these shipped eggs? I had some like that and it looked like the yolk had broken away from the membrane. Whenever I moved the egg I saw something move, but it wasn't anything alive. It looked like the bottom chalazae floating around connected to the yolk but not the egg. If there are no veins at this point I suspect they're duds.

Nevermind I just went back and read that these are from your eggs. That's what it sounds like to me though *shrug*

Last edited:
Are these shipped eggs? I had some like that and it looked like the yolk had broken away from the membrane. Whenever I moved the egg I saw something move, but it wasn't anything alive. It looked like the bottom chalazae floating around connected to the yolk but not the egg. If there are no veins at this point I suspect they're duds.

Nevermind I just went back and read that these are from your eggs. That's what it sounds like to me though *shrug*

Yes the watery eggs were shipped. I put 7 of my own birds eggs in and they seem to be dong very well. Only 6 of the 15 shipped eggs look promising now:(

That's too bad :(. I only got 4/13 on my shipped eggs too so far...hoping they all hatch.

I suspect that's what it is then. I removed all my duds yesterday and it was pretty sad.

So it's day 7 and out of 48 eggs I have 14 developing. 5 sizzles, 3 cochins, 4 bantam br, and 2 d'anver/silkies. That's a LOT of infertiles and 9/13 shipped eggs didn't fare well. Here's a pic of my candling :)
Yeah!!! Look at those little veins and embryo!

DAY 9 CANDLING!

Blue Silkie #1:

Here's one side

And another

And another

And here's where they don't quite meet? Should I be taking the eggs out of the egg carton and hand turning them now? All of my developing eggs have stable air sacs!

My other two Blue Silkie eggs:

This is one of my Maran eggs! I believe a Blue Splash! It's hard to tell even in this edited photo but I could make out veins and an embryo!!!!!

Lavender Orpington!

Here's the Belgian Quail Antwerp that is developing weird... I think I am probably going to cull it day 14

All these pictures look a lot more clear on my iphone, haha... There are actual veins there I swear! I'm so excited to see so much development between now and day 6!! What do you all think? How is everyone else doing? What do you think about me taking the eggs out of the carton? All of my developing eggs have stabilized airsacs! I did a little egg-cropsy on 4 of my bantams that weren't developing (no red silkies!!! :( ) and they all had rolling egg sacs and hadn't developed in any way. I'm thinking I should take the developing eggs out of the cartons and start hand turning them because I'm afraid the embryos, especially in my blue silkie #1 might get stuck or something. Am I being crazy?

Last edited:
Well, I candled the broody girls' eggs tonight. One had 7, the other had 6. Of the thirteen, only four are fertile. So I may consolidate. I'll give one of them the four fertile eggs, and give the other one some fresh eggs. I may have a fertility problem, because I switched roos, or it may just be that I gave them eggs during a pretty cold snap. Some of them may not have had a chance, if the girls weren't diligent about things. We'll see, I'll probably sort them out tomorrow.

Half way to lock down. My shipped eggs aren't doing well, but the local eggs are doing much better. A bit bummed about the Basque eggs that didn't developed, but I am getting more. Hopefully the next set will do better.

Back
Top Bottom