Setting some eggs 5-13-15. Looking for some folks to hatch a long with me.

Check out the video in this link: http://www.theeggfarm.com/blog/2011/11/02/wry-neck-in-baby-chick-video/ Is that what he was doing??

Not quite - he never has the S curve in the neck. It'a almost like he stands straight up like a game bird but with his chin up - a straight line up from floor to beak, then loses balance/tips backward and "runs" backwards until he bumps into the wall. Yesterday morning he wouldn't bend forward or down much, but today he seems to be better. If someone picks on him, he straightens up and runs backwards, but then can lean forward and return. Good thing he stands in the normal chick position more often than not now..

I think he just got scrambled in shipping and something is "not quite right" with him. I decided to not intervene too much. I'm not sure if he's really eating vs copying the other's pecking motions. (I've only seen him swallow water.) If he grows out of it that's great, but if he ends up being a failure to thrive I'll just let nature take its course. If he seems to be suffering, I'll put him down since I don't really want weak genetics in the flock. (I really hope she gets better and is just "off", and she's really a girl, so she is welcome to live in the layer pen as long as she likes!)

Out of 8 shipped eggs, 4 brabanter and 4 dominique; I have 2 live Brabanter chicks. The Dominique that was malpositioned, died in the egg. When I removed that, I checked the other 3 remaining, and tossed one after candling. The other two are back in the incubator but no sign of life. I will unplug tomorrow night. :(

We are at the end of day 19 in my fancy dancy new brinsea incubator (Love my husband's Mothers Day gift). All 7 are totally developed and ready to go; including the one with the itty bitty crack I nailpolished. Now I am torn between putting them under one of the broodys to hatch or doing the incubator. My last broody (a first time welsummer) went on to kill 5 of her 6 chickes (caught red beaked), so I am a little shell shocked.The 2 that are broody now are proven great mothers.

We are at the end of day 19 in my fancy dancy new brinsea incubator (Love my husband's Mothers Day gift). All 7 are totally developed and ready to go; including the one with the itty bitty crack  I nailpolished. Now I am torn between putting them under one of the broodys to hatch or doing the incubator. My last broody (a first time welsummer) went on to kill 5 of her 6 chickes (caught red beaked), so I am a little shell shocked.The 2 that are broody now are proven great mothers.
I'm on day 19 too. I would hatch them in the Brinsea so you can watch!!! You've done all the work, I wouldn't be able to put them under a broody & miss all the action! But I'm a newbie so probably with time I could...maybe. ;)

I'm on day 19 too. I would hatch them in the Brinsea so you can watch!!! You've done all the work, I wouldn't be able to put them under a broody & miss all the action! But I'm a newbie so probably with time I could...maybe.
wink.png
I couldn't either...lol I have 4 silkies and two silkie mixes and dreading the day they decide to be broody....lol. I prefer to do the hatching myself...lol I will say though, seeing a baby chick with it's "momma" is heart warming, at least in pictures...lol

I hatched a couple quail and about 9 Seramas. I had moved the eggs to the hatcher but heard something from the incubator this morning. I thought it was strange but forgot about it. I looked in there to turn some eggs and there was a little Serama that I had forgotten to move to the hatcher, mixed in with newer eggs... hatched out at about 30% humidity. Cute chick too!

I hatched a few turkey poults too and am contemplating putting them under one of my turkeys hens that is broody because I discovered that she is sitting on duck eggs... I couldn't believe it! It feels like a risk because she had never had babies before, but they may do better with her than in the brooder... I may try it and just hope for the best.

I have 4 hatched now, and 2 more pipped. Still over half of the chicken eggs with nothing, but it's very early on day 21 for me. Actually it's very late on day 20 I suppose. The turkeys are due any time now but I'm not holding much hope on them. So far my chicks look perfect with good feet and are getting pretty zippy as they dry out. They are rolling all the other eggs around now, which is the part I hate.
Is anybody left here still hatching?

Back
Top Bottom