Setting Today (03-02-2012)

I had one hatch yesterday, 4 hatched thur the night, 1 more before we left for errands and 4 more once I got back. Have 12 more that are pipped. None of my green eggs are pipped or rocking, nothing at all. Today is only day 22. I have Luckys two eggs that are due on Tuesday so will wait till then to really throw anything.

Well I think my hatch is done. I started with 9 shipped Barnevelders, 4 of my own Barnie x barred Plymouth Rock, a day after I set those 13, i threw in 1 of my own Barnies and 1 of the Barnie X. All 6 of my own eggs hatched and 6 of the shipped eggs hatched a total of 12 out 15 or 80% :)!!!! Not to bad, 1 of the shipped egss was tosses early due to no growth, I am leaving the other 2 in with my others eggs that are due on Wed and Fri. If on Wednsday they have not hatched I will toss them.

So today I checked on my eggs i have 5 chicks that hatched 1 RIP during hatch. and 1 of the chicks isn't looking too good.
hit.gif

It has a red thing in/on/by his butt and is laying on his/her back.
sad.png

I don't know what to do. He's lying on hi/sher back. I took her out for a sec to take the picture. I hope she will be alright.
Anybody know what this is??? IF she/he will survive?

I have 4 other chicks 1 was hatched at 9am and the other around 4pm and then later in the evening. when do you put them in the brooder box?
Oh my.. This is so familiar to me right now.. I have one who was pipped and the others still in the incubator were pecking the egg horribly. I didn't figure it would get out with them doing that. I left and came back and it was half out of the shell. I think they pecked it out but not sure. The top half of the egg was gone. I left it because it was a MESS. Very extra wet and goofy and figured maybe the yolk was not all absorbed and at least the bottom half was still in the shell. Went away and came back about half an hour later and it was clear across the incubator with another little one sitting on top of it. Ok... I guess, but there was a lot of yuck in the shell it came out of. Went away again and when I rechecked, it was on its back and one pecking it's head and 3 pecking it's umbilicus ... Which looks a lot like yours in the picture. So I just cracked the side and pulled it. It has a piece of shell stuck on top of its head and is as hard as a rock. I put it in the brooder on a towel to hold it into position ( upright). I think those guys are turning into cannibals! Have two more trying to get out of the shells but the others won't leave them alone. At what point do I pull the babies just to save the ones still not hatched. There are 12 in there being bullies.. All hatched yesterday evening and thru the night, so all are less than 24 hours old.

In total I have had to pull two .. I just opened the side a coach and quickly reached in and snagged them. The first was early this morning.. Well, 9 o'clock or so. I slept in. When I found it, they were picking on it too and it was a dried goofy mess too. I put it under a heat lamp and let it get some peace and rest and later when it acted better I turned on a warm stream of water and put it under. It is doing great! All fluffed except for the head because I didn't get it wet. So now I have the second one in the brooder and the others are actively trying to peck another two out of the shells... Is this normal? I have never had them do this before. They are also eating the shells of the already hatched chicks... Are they hungry? I don't want to pull them yet because if the two piped ones. I have. About 8 more or so that I can't see anything pipped but who really knows at this point.. They have been tossed around so much they could be upside down.

I opened mine quickly and took out the ones that were dry so they would not mess with the newly hatched and those the had pip, all came out just fine. Best of luck.

Thanks. I think I am going to have to do that. I have set the little sick one upright and it just flops back onto its back. It's belly is real squishy and huge!! I finally decided to go ahead and give it the spa treatment. I cupped it in my hands and make an ok with my thumb and first finger... Put the head thru there so it doesnt get wet and let the pretty warm water run over it for awhile. After that I wrapped it in a wash cloth so it couldn't tip over again and put it back in the brooder under the light. Went out side for a bit and when I came in it was out of the washcloth and walking... UPRIGHT!!! Not a great walk but not flopped on its back. Yeah. It is starting to fluff up too, so that is good.

it is day 23 for me and i still have 2 more pipping. i think 2 are duds. :(

i had 10

5 hatched
1 died
2 are pipping
2 show no sign of anything.

One of the two that are pipping have made a 80% zip, it looks like the other one did before it died but since it has blood on it already I am scared to help. Do I help?
i don't remember when it started to pip. i think it was either earlier this morning or yesterday night. I don't really want another casuality.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom