Setting up a Brooding nest for the first time. Concerned Please help!

My Pet Hens

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2021
I was mailed 12 Maran eggs for my broody Orpington. I was going to leave her in the coop nesting box but after reading here it was not recommended I am setting up a separate area using an igloo dog house and a medium wire dog cage for the run. I am just north of Washington DC. Here are some of my concerns: 1) Will it get too hot in the igloo? It has a vent in the top. 2) I will not be able to see well into the igloo. Will, it disturb her too much to lift the top off once in a while to check her? 3) Will she stop sitting before they are finished? She has been sitting on a marble egg for over a month.

demonic

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
New York
the only thing I’m concerned about is whether she will stay on the eggs since she has been sitting on a marble one for over a month. Everything else will be fine because if she needs to she will come out and drink water and eat food, she knows what she’s doing

My Pet Hens

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2021
I open the coop lid and she never moves so do you think I could lift the igloo top and not bother her?

My Pet Hens

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2021
She started sitting in a planter and I tried making her stop by covering the planter and she just moved to the nesting box.

My Pet Hens

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2021
Update on my eggs: It is day 17, I can not see through the dark shells well. Some eggs look completely dark, one has what looks like a dark band in the middle and one moves a lot when I tilt the egg. I had 1 dozen Maran eggs. I put 6 in the incubator and 6 under Broody hen. The hen has done a great job staying on her eggs but she ate 2 of them.
Please pray I get some baby hens.
Why would she eat them?

Top Bottom