Setting Up a Dust Bath

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
My chickens have been unable to dust bathe outdoors because of the rain and snow, so I’m going to set up a dust bath. Should I use a certain container? What type of soil should I use?

My chickens have been unable to dust bathe outdoors because of the rain and snow, so I’m going to set up a dust bath. Should I use a certain container? What type of soil should I use?
I’ve never made my chickens a dust bath in a container, they have always done it outside on the ground. I have seen people use containers and fill it with dry fine grained soil mixed with sand. The soil to use would be dry fine grained soil though.

mine prefer a spot they choose over a dust bath i create for them. however, if it’s been a while since it’s been dry enough in the yard to use their spot, they will use the one i made in the run, provided it’s dry and hasn’t been pooped in too much. i use one of those plastic half-barrel style planters filled about halfway with dry peat moss. my adult hens refuse to use anything with sand in it. maybe bc the soil here is not sandy at all, so it’s not something they are accustomed to? i wonder if chickens prefer the texture of what they might find in the yard…

I use a large rectangular plastic box with lid. I put in roughly equal parts of sharp sand and ash from a bonfire, plus a little diatomaceous earth. Sometimes some of my flock use it as one of a variety of options. Sometimes they even queue up for it
P1090278.JPG

Today I just picked up a cat litter box and I have some sand to put in it. It might not be ideal but it's what I have right now. If I could, I would maybe add ash or some fine soil or peat moss. I just don't have that right now.

If I were you I'd grab a plastic bin of some sort and just fill it with something that imitates what they normally would dust bathe in in the summer. I think even some potting soil would do just fine.

Today I just picked up a cat litter box and I have some sand to put in it. It might not be ideal but it's what I have right now. If I could, I would maybe add ash or some fine soil or peat moss. I just don't have that right now.

If I were you I'd grab a plastic bin of some sort and just fill it with something that imitates what they normally would dust bathe in in the summer. I think even some potting soil would do just fine.
I got a bin and filled it with sand, they haven’t touched it yet. If they don’t by tomorrow, I think I’m going to add wood ash and some other rough materials I see people using and try that out. Thanks!

I got a bin and filled it with sand, they haven’t touched it yet. If they don’t by tomorrow, I think I’m going to add wood ash and some other rough materials I see people using and try that out. Thanks!
No problem. I just saw the other commenter say ash maybe isn't a good idea. I have no clue. There is always conflicting info. Maybe peat would be better.

Anyway, good luck!

I do add ash to their soil but my run is covered. I tried a tire at first they hardly used it! They like dirt best. If there's a way to cover a patch of dirt that's your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom