Setting up chicken coop

Those dimensions don't make sense. I'll round off but if it is 7' long and the nests are 1', why is the length 5' instead of 6? Is it actually 2' wide or 3"? I can't tell how big that enclosed "coop" section is. Looking at the nest photo it looks like it is only 2' wide. I'm not sure it is much longer.

That roost looks pretty close to the nests, they may overhang and poop in the nest. Not sure, might be OK. Supposedly there is only one so whether it is 2' or 3' long it's not enough for five Brahma hens. As small as that coop is the only way I can think if adding more is to treat the existing one as the cross of a T and run a stem to the T to the front wall. Not sure that would be enough.

The floor looks like it is hardware cloth, I can't see that tray underneath but assume it's there. I can't see how that wire is attached, can a predator rip it loose? Same question on the walls. I don't see much ventilation or with that roof opening like that much of a way to add more. Maybe cut a hole in that back gable and cover it with hardware cloth. With that wire floor that might be enough.

They say it is good for 2 to 4 chickens and you have five. Most prefab coop manufacturers exaggerate the carrying capacity. They are closer on this one that many are. Maybe 4 bantams or two full sized hens like Brahmas. Not five.

I agree this is not good coop for you. About the only thing good abut it is that the two nests are good for five hens. If you could return it and get something else you'd be better off. I suspect that is not possible.

If you are stuck with it Mary's suggestion is a good one. Your climate actually makes this easier, thanks for including your location. Build a run around that, big enough and tall enough to give you access to that coop. Or build a run next to the side of this and cut a pop door between the two. An easy one would be a dog kennel, preferably one with a secure top, either wire or solid. I'd add a roost under that roof of what is now the run, I really think roost length is going to be a problem.

Sorry, but that is just too small for five Brahma hens.
Thank you so much for your response. I thought it was probably going to be too small. Ugh, since I can’t return it the only way is to add on. I appreciate your honest feedback. Hopefully I will be able to build on fairly inexpensive! These coops aren’t cheap! 🐥

Getting a used coop only makes sense if it's been at least two years since it had chickens living in it. Marek's disease lasts in dander and feathers, and old coops, for a fair while, and wood structures really can't be 'sterilized'. Mine would probably melt if scrubbed!
Mary

Last edited:
I started with a similar coop and way too many hens for it. If you are up for a small construction project, you can solve this for the cost of a little bit of lumber and nails. Here is how I solved the problem:

The way those are constructed, the "run" part and the "coop" part are basically separate.

1) removed the "run" part of the setup entirely so the hard-sided coop was standalone and you are left with a three-sided, hardware cloth-ed run with a roof
2) cut plywood to fit around around all FOUR sides and the floor of the former "run" part. If you go to Home Depot or Lowe's and ask VERY nicely, they will usually cut the plywood for you. Nail the plywood onto the four sides and floor -- this effectively turns your "run" into a second, standalone coop
NOTE: make sure you cut windows and leave the "run" door as is for ventilation. Leave a small crack at the top of each wall where you attach the plywood (where the wall meets the roof). Windows should be covered with hardware cloth to keep out predators
3) used a 4x4 cut into one-foot lengths to make four legs and nailed them to the bottom so the new coop / old run so it was up off the floor
4) added a chicken ramp up to the door out of cut plywood
5) added roost bars into the coop
6) voila, you have a second coop
7) built a much larger run around both of them - my run is made from wooden posts and hardware cloth because I live in the mountains of Colorado with lots of predators, but sounds like you have fewer predators and can get away with something less sturdy. Do a search on this forum for ideas for building a chicken run.
8) also, you can remove the door of the poorly-ventilated run and replace it with a screen door made out of hardware cloth (I agree with other posters; this doesn't have adequate ventilation)

It is not the greatest solution in the world and yes, the new coop is harder to clean and lacks nest boxes - however, my chickens lay their eggs in a specific corner of the coop that they have decided is the "nest" and they sleep / poop elsewhere - BUT it will only cost you a half day of labor and maybe $30-80 for materials depending on what you build the run out of, and you'll have a second coop and adequate space for your five hens.

Where are you planning to keep the coop / run and the chickens? Do you have a fenced backyard? Many predators where you live? If you have a fence and few predators, you may be able to skip building the run and just let them free-range.

Let me know if you like this idea and want more help!

Also - as for how you train them to go inside at night, I got great advice from an experienced chicken owner. When your chickens arrive, put them directly into the coop with the door shut (don't let them go down to the run). Leave them 'indoors' for the rest of that day, the first night, the second day and the second night. Of course make sure they have food and water inside the coop (which you will want to keep outside of the coop going forwards). On the third morning after their second night in the coop, you can let them out first thing in the morning and they'll always return 'home' when it gets dark. Leaving them in the coop for two nights teaches them that it is home and safe. I have successfully used this method to move my chickens into three new coops over the years, and I've never once had to chase a hen into the coop or go looking for one who didn't return at night. This will be too difficult if you aren't able to expand your coop before they arrive - if you try to keep five hens in that size coop during a day, they will fight. So, definitely try to figure out a way to enlarge the coop before they arrive.

Thank you so much for your reply!! So here is a link to the coop and says the dimensions. Kinda worried now they won’t have enough room but I’m thinking I could add on a bigger run. It does have a cleaning tray. https://www.aosom.com/item/pawhut-8...-coop-with-fenced-run-and-wheels~D3-0004.html
You will need to modify the coop to add ventilation. A big run will help but make sure there is plenty of shade.

Here in Woodland California I use orbit mister lines and an auto timer to keep them cool. Without it, they start dying as the temps get close to 110F

Back
Top Bottom