Setting up chicken coop

Katielovell530

Chirping
Apr 24, 2020
Grass Valley, California
Hi there. I have some time to think about this but just want to get prepared. Do you use hay or pine shavings for the floor, how often do you clean, what type of waters and feeders do you use. I’m a total newbie and just want everything to be set. How will they know to go back in their coop at night? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much! I’m putting a picture of the coop in to help as well

Attachments

• 3E8CDA1D-3DE4-4815-A64E-FF795536FF40.jpeg
    3E8CDA1D-3DE4-4815-A64E-FF795536FF40.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi there. I have some time to think about this but just want to get prepared. Do you use hay or pine shavings for the floor, how often do you clean, what type of waters and feeders do you use. I’m a total newbie and just want everything to be set. How will they know to go back in their coop at night? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much! I’m putting a picture of the coop in to help as well
How many chickens do have?
What breeds?
Right from the start any pre-fab coop is going to be poorly constructed and the run is always viscously undersized in relation to the coop.
Do you actually have that coop or are you just considering buying it?

So you are northeast of Sacramento. You can get pretty hot in summer but probably don't see freezing weather or snow that often. That helps. Yours can at least get outside practically all day every day.

I don't see any physical dimensions on that coop or run. Do you have a link to a site that gives those plus photos of inside? That could help making specific suggestions. In general I don't much like those prefab coops either but a lot of people use them. They often have to make modifications. What I'm looking for are dimensions in feet or inches and the interior layout. Especially roosts and nests. Does it come with a tray for clean out?

Do you use hay or pine shavings for the floor, how often do you clean, what type of waters and feeders do you use.

We all do these things differently. There is no one way that is right for everyone or wrong for everyone. With a small elevated coop like that popular choices are pine or aspen wood shavings, hay, straw, grass clippings, sand, or dried leaves. My thoughts on bedding is that they should be available and relatively inexpensive. Everyone has their own favorite but the strange thing is that different people have different favorites. I knew of one lady on the Gulf Coast that used Spanish moss.

How often to clean? Depends on how often you need to. I use my nose to tell me when I waited too long. In a small coop like that with five chickens you may be doing poop management on a daily basis. That doesn't mean you need a daily deep cleaning or changing out bedding. Some people change bedding weekly, some go a lot longer. It depends on your poop management and how dry the coop is.

As for feeders and waterers, there are all kinds. Some of us make our own, others buy one of the many different offerings. With that small coop you probably will not be able to feed and water inside. Feed needs to stay dry so you may need to hang a feeder under the coop. I personally don't worry too much when it rains in the waterer.

How will they know to go back in their coop at night?

Instinct. You may have to train them to sleep inside but once they get in the habit of sleeping inside they instinctively go there each night at dark.

So you are northeast of Sacramento. You can get pretty hot in summer but probably don't see freezing weather or snow that often. That helps. Yours can at least get outside practically all day every day.

I don't see any physical dimensions on that coop or run. Do you have a link to a site that gives those plus photos of inside? That could help making specific suggestions. In general I don't much like those prefab coops either but a lot of people use them. They often have to make modifications. What I'm looking for are dimensions in feet or inches and the interior layout. Especially roosts and nests. Does it come with a tray for clean out?

Do you use hay or pine shavings for the floor, how often do you clean, what type of waters and feeders do you use.

We all do these things differently. There is no one way that is right for everyone or wrong for everyone. With a small elevated coop like that popular choices are pine or aspen wood shavings, hay, straw, grass clippings, sand, or dried leaves. My thoughts on bedding is that they should be available and relatively inexpensive. Everyone has their own favorite but the strange thing is that different people have different favorites. I knew of one lady on the Gulf Coast that used Spanish moss.

How often to clean? Depends on how often you need to. I use my nose to tell me when I waited too long. In a small coop like that with five chickens you may be doing poop management on a daily basis. That doesn't mean you need a daily deep cleaning or changing out bedding. Some people change bedding weekly, some go a lot longer. It depends on your poop management and how dry the coop is.

As for feeders and waterers, there are all kinds. Some of us make our own, others buy one of the many different offerings. With that small coop you probably will not be able to feed and water inside. Feed needs to stay dry so you may need to hang a feeder under the coop. I personally don't worry too much when it rains in the waterer.

How will they know to go back in their coop at night?

Instinct. You may have to train them to sleep inside but once they get in the habit of sleeping inside they instinctively go there each night at dark.
Thank you so much for your reply!! So here is a link to the coop and says the dimensions. Kinda worried now they won’t have enough room but I’m thinking I could add on a bigger run. It does have a cleaning tray. https://www.aosom.com/item/pawhut-8...-coop-with-fenced-run-and-wheels~D3-0004.html

Those dimensions don't make sense. I'll round off but if it is 7' long and the nests are 1', why is the length 5' instead of 6? Is it actually 2' wide or 3"? I can't tell how big that enclosed "coop" section is. Looking at the nest photo it looks like it is only 2' wide. I'm not sure it is much longer.

That roost looks pretty close to the nests, they may overhang and poop in the nest. Not sure, might be OK. Supposedly there is only one so whether it is 2' or 3' long it's not enough for five Brahma hens. As small as that coop is the only way I can think if adding more is to treat the existing one as the cross of a T and run a stem to the T to the front wall. Not sure that would be enough.

The floor looks like it is hardware cloth, I can't see that tray underneath but assume it's there. I can't see how that wire is attached, can a predator rip it loose? Same question on the walls. I don't see much ventilation or with that roof opening like that much of a way to add more. Maybe cut a hole in that back gable and cover it with hardware cloth. With that wire floor that might be enough.

They say it is good for 2 to 4 chickens and you have five. Most prefab coop manufacturers exaggerate the carrying capacity. They are closer on this one that many are. Maybe 4 bantams or two full sized hens like Brahmas. Not five.

I agree this is not good coop for you. About the only thing good abut it is that the two nests are good for five hens. If you could return it and get something else you'd be better off. I suspect that is not possible.

If you are stuck with it Mary's suggestion is a good one. Your climate actually makes this easier, thanks for including your location. Build a run around that, big enough and tall enough to give you access to that coop. Or build a run next to the side of this and cut a pop door between the two. An easy one would be a dog kennel, preferably one with a secure top, either wire or solid. I'd add a roost under that roof of what is now the run, I really think roost length is going to be a problem.

Sorry, but that is just too small for five Brahma hens.

Back
Top Bottom