Setting Up --- Incubator Questions

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
I just got the incubator from the farm... I'm letting it get up to 100 degree's. So far it's 95 or so in just 1 hour (weird). The incubator is "Hova Bator" Incubator:

(my picture)

I have read the instructions on the manual the farm gave me. allong with a set of reminders:

1. The egg hatching process takes 21 days (already knew that)
2. Do not place incubator in the sun, over a heater or in a drafty area. (Did that.)
3. Plug incubator and egg turner in (did that). Raise temperature to 99-100 degrees F. (did that. it's currently at 95 or so...
4. Let run for 2-3 hours before eggs are put into incubator base to stabilize temperature. (I put them in at 2pm so they should be done at 4pm/5pm - Should I go for the 3 hours to be safe?)
5. Place eggs on turner in incubator w/ pointy side down.
6. Place thermometer on tops of eggs.
7. Check water levels every day, use warm water. (How do I know when to add water since it is very hard to see with the egg and turner? I already had to throw out the water (prior to plug in because it went into the controled water section and not thermal.)
8. Check temperature Daily.
9. On 3rd Day, uncover first hole.
10. On 18th day, uncover the second hole.. (what holes are we talking about? I only see 1 hole) (see picture above)
11. Also on the 18th Day, remove the egg turner.
12. Place eggs on screen with thermometer on top of them.
13. Leave chicks on wire in incubator until they dry off (8-12 hours)
14. Remove chicks from incubator and place in box (90 degrees) along with food and water.
15. Turner moves slowly (several times per day) do not force motor to make the turner move faster.

That is what the guy typed up.
The questions are in bold.

(better picture of the incubator: (not my photo) )

it's pratically the same incubator....

Last edited:
Sounds like you're following the directions just fine. Just allow it to run until tomorrow, and when things look steady, add your eggs.

okay. i'm going a bit nuts. around 3:30pm the incubator stated 99 degrees...now it's 97! Grrrr. I'll probably be putting the eggs in at 10pm. only if the temperature stays at 99-100 for an hour or so. I also noticed that the windows are getting condensation on them....good or bad?

Also does it matter if you get water in the controlled water section when you try to put water in the thermal?

Last edited:
Hey Harlejo,this is not pertaining to bator but do0 you have any of Silver lacd Wyanadottes.Hatching eggs for sale? Please let me now.Thanks so much,Sandra

Sorry, no I don't. When I got that SLW, I just got a hen because my intent was to cross it with my RIR rooster to make red sex links due to the silver gene in the SLW.

Those red plugs are what you take out. You can see two of them.
If condensation is building up on windows your humidity is probably too high. Do you have a hygrometer? Your shooting for 40% first 18 days then up it to 60%.
You'll want to set your home heating to a constant temperature. The fluctuation your seeing may have something to do with that. Once your incubator is set it will swing up and down some but should average your set temp. With still air incubating people have had better luck using 101F reading at top of eggs. Once your incubator is steady put the eggs in and know the temp will go down for many hours until the eggs warm up so don't worry.

I don't think i have a hygrometer. Should I clean off the condensation?
hmm. How do i measure the humidity?
it's staying between 99-100. I'll check it at 7pm to see what it is at and then probably put the eggs in at 7pm or 8pm the latest...
if i start at 8pm does this count as day 1 or 8pm tomorrow?
i am curious about what counts as day 1.

8 PM tomorrow will be the end of day one. They should start to hatch 21 days from day of setting. If your temp is a degree low it will take another day, if a degree high a day early.
You can purchase a cheap hygrometer at a cigar shop for under $7 or a digital hygrometer-thermometer at Wallmart for $14.

Back
Top Bottom