Setting up today 26 May 2012.... Anyone setting can join

goodpost.gif
Thank you, so we have 8 in the brooder, 3 in the incubator drying out a little, one that was hatching when i left for work that should be out by now, 5 eggs left!! one i am positive is dead, looks to be drowned. sometimes when those chicks play soccer with all the eggs in the incubator you have to expect a loss. of the other 4 all are pipped and showing signs of life. Has anyone used egg carton's for the hatching in lock down. i'd like to try it but would like to know what everyone thinks. does it really cut down on clean up and do the newly hatched chicks not play soccer as much with the unhatched eggs?

goodpost.gif
Thank you, so we have 8 in the brooder, 3 in the incubator drying out a little, one that was hatching when i left for work that should be out by now, 5 eggs left!! one i am positive is dead, looks to be drowned. sometimes when those chicks play soccer with all the eggs in the incubator you have to expect a loss. of the other 4 all are pipped and showing signs of life. Has anyone used egg carton's for the hatching in lock down. i'd like to try it but would like to know what everyone thinks. does it really cut down on clean up and do the newly hatched chicks not play soccer as much with the unhatched eggs?

I cut up the egg cartons for my last hatch because I had detached air sacs and I was using those egg carton cups to keep the eggs upright for lockdown. Honestly, even with only 6 eggs, they did know them over and then the two that were left got kicked around. So then I had a hard time seeing if the other two had eve pipped...they were not only knocked over on their side, but the egg carton blocked my view.

So for the ones I put on lockdown late last night I cut the egg carton into thirds, so 4 eggs to a section. I am hoping this will cut down on that. I arranged them so I can have the best viewing too! I think it will be hard for them to knock a bigger section over.

goodpost.gif

I use the egg carton method and I have seen that it is much easier to clean everything up after all the eggs have hatched. I have found that this way also cuts down on chicks piping or hatching from the wrong end. As a bonus, after the chicks hatch and start banging around the incubator they don't knock around the other eggs. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

So cute, congrats! Did you get any more chicks? L
2 more have hatched according two my wife, one is on a heating pad by itself. egg yolk not fully absorbed, but she says it is doing good, just don't want it in with the other chicks. one egg is definately dead and she said she hasn't seen much out of the other three. i'll check them out this evening and we'll go from there.
i think there are 11 here, the little yellow one in the middle with the thermometer hand pointing at is is "yellow pickle" as my two yo has decided to name it!!
kids you got to love where thier ideas come from...i asked her why yellow pickle and she answered because he's yellow and i like pickles

Last edited:
Lumpy Gravy, Yellow Pickle...this cracks me up! I just named a little cockeral I have that is showing a bit more aggression at 8 weeks that I want to see Soup. That really has my son and husband laughing. Can't wait to tell them about Lumpy Gravy and Yellow Pickle.
gig.gif

They sure are cute though!

I need some help. I went into lockdown yesterday and I filled my water troughs, and even added paper towels soaked in water, and it's getting dry in the incubator... I know I am not supposed to open the incubator, but it will need more water. Ideas?!?!
barnie.gif

I need some help. I went into lockdown yesterday and I filled my water troughs, and even added paper towels soaked in water, and it's getting dry in the incubator... I know I am not supposed to open the incubator, but it will need more water. Ideas?!?!
barnie.gif
I would use a tube that can fit into the incubators holes and had water to the troughs. I also used a sponge cut up and was able to get it wet and drop it in through the holes into a bowl that was under the hole if i needed more, But i would try the tube part first, then if that doesnt work, put cut up sponge in like 1" x 1" squares into the bator through the holes and get them wet

Back
Top Bottom