Seven and a half week old EE's.. Roo or hen?

I think they are both roos. At that age, both of their combs are pretty pink/red, and the feather pattern/color on both says boy to me. Also, having three distinct rows on an EEs comb does not always mean boy, just as only one row does not always mean girl. I have an EE pullet that has had three definite rows on her comb since at least 7 weeks or so. She's 32 weeks today and I have been getting olive colored eggs for several weeks now. =)

The tan chick's comb looks like something in between a pea and a single. It's not a pure pea comb and will probably look like a single comb with a rounded top rather than spikes when he grows up. And yes, I believe that's a cockerel. Tan doesn't = female, you have to look at how the color is distributed.

I think they are both roos. At that age, both of their combs are pretty pink/red, and the feather pattern/color on both says boy to me. Also, having three distinct rows on an EEs comb does not always mean boy, just as only one row does not always mean girl. I have an EE pullet that has had three definite rows on her comb since at least 7 weeks or so. She's 32 weeks today and I have been getting olive colored eggs for several weeks now. =)
The tan chick's comb looks like something in between a pea and a single. It's not a pure pea comb and will probably look like a single comb with a rounded top rather than spikes when he grows up. And yes, I believe that's a cockerel. Tan doesn't = female, you have to look at how the color is distributed.

This. Both the tan EE and the SLW look like cockerels.

Yes, i also think that ee is a Pullet and SLW is a Cockerel.

x3

My SLW 'pullet' turned out to be a roo and his color cam in just like that - Ithought at first it was bad alcing, but it was just the boy coloring. Sorry.

I can't see the rust coloring you're talking about in these pics. Sure is a pretty EE.

Here are a few more pics of the EE's coloring and comb. This one is the prettiest of all my chicks. It is also the one lowest in the pecking order, and the smallest, weight wise.

100% sure tan chick is a cockerel. That dark red blotching on the back/upper wing doesn't happen on pullets. He's going to be a looker! My EE cockerel was also very laid back and slight of build. A pullet ruled the brooder and didn't give up the top spot until after he was crowing and working on mating. He's still mellow and would likely be a beta roo if there was any competition at all.

Last edited:
100% sure tan chick is a cockerel. That dark red blotching on the back/upper wing doesn't happen on pullets. He's going to be a looker! My EE cockerel was also very laid back and slight of build. A pullet ruled the brooder and didn't give up the top spot until after he was crowing and working on mating. He's still mellow and would likely be a beta roo if there was any competition at all.

Thats what I thought, that color on the wings mean cockerel. He is such a pretty bird, and sweet too. I hope he stays that way!

Back
Top Bottom