seven day old chick w/ hurt foot (photo)

cortney

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
I've raised chickens before but this is my first experience with McMurray chicks. The chicks are exactly 7 days old now. Most of them are doing great, but other than that, I can't say that I've been particularly pleased. The free rare chick died, one chick suffers from scissor beak and I have to decide whether or not to cull it, and yesterday this chick started limping.

This chick was fine before, but it is the runt. The bottom of right foot looks like it could be very swollen and leg, either that, or the left foot is very shriveled. It uses its right foot to walk, and tries not to place weight on the left foot. It can walk/run for short distances, such as when it flees from me; however, it spends most of its time hobbling around or laying on its stomach. When I apply pressure to either leg/foot, it doesn't respond or act like it hurts. It can and does eat and drink. Other than this disability, it seems fairly active/healthy.

Does anybody have an idea what could be going on with this chick? Can I save it and if so, how?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom