Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Pics
It's a way of raising chicks without using a heat lamp at all, and those of us who do it won't do it any other way. There are other alternatives to lamps as well - commercial brooding plates or Sweeter Heaters which both do a bang up job, but Mama Heating Pad is a little cheaper and more flexible in how it can be used.

You've got plenty of time to think about that and our thread,http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update, will be there if you want to give it a look-see after everything settles down for you a bit. :hugs

First, I'm really sorry you lost your birds.

Hmmm... looks like the ventilation is okay, but if you have frost I would definitely add more.
From what I see there is nothing like enough ventilation. Those closed windows aren't ventilation. There shouldn't be frost inside the coop if there is proper ventilation.

They were about 8-10 feet from it. I always buy the pine shavings for their bedding- but I haven't used the coop and compost before. Nothing at all odd about them or their behavior.
If the coop is 32 sq ft, I don't see how they could be any farther from the heat lamp than they were. Suggests they REALLY didn't want to be near it. Maybe they sensed the teflon "gasses" and were trying to get away from it.

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry. That may be it. That makes me mad. Why does the manufacturer even do that if chicken owners use those in coops? How would you ever know that?
What makes you think the manufacturer makes them with chickens in mind?

How could hubby ever guess that something "human safe" could kill livestock. Buy stainless people!
If chickens die from inhaling the heated Teflon "gasses" I would say it is NOT safe for humans either.

I didn't know this and need to buy some heat lamps . I'll be sure to check them . Is there a specific company to be aware of ?
You live in Tennessee and you are going to buy heat lamps?? PLEASE DO NOT. They do NOT need heat in TN if they don't need it in Vermont. More than one person has lost their coop and entire flock from heat lamp created fires. I did have a heat lamp over a waterer a few winters ago. One hen decided to have her first moult the end of January and even she didn't go near the heat lamp other than to drink even though the temps were well below 0°F.

From what I see there is nothing like enough ventilation. Those closed windows aren't ventilation. There shouldn't be frost inside the coop if there is proper ventilation.

If the coop is 32 sq ft, I don't see how they could be any farther from the heat lamp than they were. Suggests they REALLY didn't want to be near it. Maybe they sensed the teflon "gasses" and were trying to get away from it.

If chickens die from inhaling the heated Teflon "gasses" I would say it is NOT safe for humans either.

You live in Tennessee and you are going to buy heat lamps?? PLEASE DO NOT. They do NOT need heat in TN if they don't need it in Vermont. More than one person has lost their coop and entire flock from heat lamp created fires. I did have a heat lamp over a waterer a few winters ago. One hen decided to have her first moult the end of January and even she didn't go near the heat lamp other than to drink even though the temps were well below 0°F.

Yes my flock is fine without a heat lamp at -4°F... agreed on the heat lamp...

I never said there was enough ventilation. At the time I didn't know those windows weren't ventilation. Now that I understand, I can see this person has almost no ventilation... definitely not okay... and I specifically said to add more.

:lau Heat lamps have many uses . Brooders and keeping eggs from freezing in this fidget weather .Throw a little more heat on incubators . Keep the pool pump from freezing .keep the well pump from freezing It's survival of the fittest around here . If a chicken is ill I might give it some heat otherwise they get none . My coops are full open on one side . And them chicken laying eggs in this cold pullets mostly . More concerned about humans getting this toxin than chickens . Think about how many times a person stands over a heat lamp in it's many uses . So everyone please be careful .

@AaronandAlice, I wish you didn't live so far away, I would love to give you a couple of pullets to help rebuild your flock. Maybe if you post on your state thread that your looking for replacement pullets or hens. I know spring is coming soon, but then it takes time to raise the chicks. I hate to see your rooster have to wait so long for a new flock. Best wishes for you & your family!

To all intents and purposes a heat lamp is a heat lamp. I likely would think so and not read the label. If you buy a new bucket do you read the label? I don't even read the label on heated buckets and those are electrical appliances.

To be clear most heat lamps, as much as they require so much more caution than they are usually given, aren't Teflon coated. Freak misfortune in this case really that likely the one kind that is dangerous was on hand during the kind of cold snap that makes people reach for heat.

Back
Top Bottom