Seven week old going down hill.

David61

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Moving slow if moving at all the last two days. I moved her out of the coop to a dog kennel inside the garage tonight. No bad breath, bugs or mites and vent looks good to me. No bloated stomach or craw. No black spots on head. She looks tired and week. Doesn't want hand treats. Now she was free ranging bugs, small worm and grubs this week. I take them out of the coop two at a time and walk the flower beds. My back yard is organic for the last 8 months. I'll get a look at her poop now she away from the flock. The flock is full of energy and mischief like any teenager. No sign of anything in them yet. I figure another day and she is gone. She didn't want to get off the ground to roost with the other girls tonight. She sat most of the day. I have to get a night light. They won't go to roost until i go out and put them to bed by lighting the roost. Silly girls.

What about it guys. She is a sweetheart and I'm not sure what to do.
Time for electrolytes?
Warm butt bath?
The coop is tight with 1/2" wire. No predator injury but i did see more feathers than i'm use to when i raked up today. But they have more now and its their first full week in the coop so i have no clue. Did she get her but whooped by her sisters. They don't seem to be any unhappiness in the flock. Not a foul word out of any of them. Just peep peep peep…

A day of electrolytes might be in order, it sounds like the clock is molting which zaps them sometimes especially if they are lower on the pecking order.
What is the age of your hen?
Has the flock been de wormed?
What are they being fed by you, including treats?
Has she been laying eggs normally?

Seven weeks old.
Chick starter.
Old fashion oatmeal for treats. No more than 1/2 Cup between the 10 girls. Every other day.
A few raisin's or grapes .
Free range a few hours every other day supervised.
No wormer yet .
They have been out side not even two weeks.
Chick grit from week two.
poops looking normal?
is there any chance they got into something toxic, area where weeds have been sprayed, or could have drifted in?

Sounds like 'boots on the ground' happened recently for these young birds, introducing them to coccidia as they foraged. Is their feed medicated? Have you put CORID® (amprolium) in all of their water sources? Chick Booster® is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, comes in a small visine-type-bottle so you can put a single drop into their mouth.

She has been in the kennel a few hours now. I'll have to check her poop. Like i know what's good poop. I read it once. I know what my poop board looks like and it's looking about the same. Well formed dark brown with the loose squirt now and again. Good thing as four of my girls like to fly up and ride on my shoulders while I'm in the coop. The poop does stick to my shirt much unless they step on it.
We have been dry and no run off water. Yard is well kept and not sprayed since early march for flees. They have been eating bugs as we are turning over pots and rocks free ranging. They have been eating a lot of greens when out. Grass and weeds

Sounds like 'boots on the ground' happened recently for these young birds, introducing them to coccidia as they foraged. Is their feed medicated? Have you put CORID® (amprolium) in all of their water sources? Chick Booster® is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, comes in a small visine-type-bottle so you can put a single drop into their mouth.

X2 on This!
I'd dose the lot of them with Corid (amprolium.) If it's coccidiosis, That should nip it pretty quickly. If it's something else, it shouldn't hurt them at all. Make sure they don't get the vitamin supplement until the Corid doses are done, though, or it will neutralize the medication. Once the Corid course is completed, that's when you hit them with a full poultry vitamin that has B Complex in it (most do.) They'll need the B's because that's how Corid works, by depriving the baddies of the B vitamins needed to survive ... but your chickens need it, too, so you need to boost 'em pretty quickly.
Good Luck!

Moving slow if moving at all the last two days.

She looks tired and week.

I figure another day and she is gone. She didn't want to get off the ground to roost with the other girls tonight. She sat most of the day.
Do you have any photos of her and the poop?
I agree with @Tycine1 I would treat for Coccidiosis and go from there.
Do you have any Corid? You can find it in the cattle section of Tractor Supply.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days

If you can't get the Corid now (stores closed?) see if you can get her to eat a bit of white cooked rice with buttermilk.

Back
Top Bottom