Several chickens with bald spots and one with a head lesion... HELP

Westmarch

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
Yesterday evening I noticed one of my chickens had a scab looking thing on her head. On closer inspection, it was a small patch above her comb with no feathers (and small scabby bits). Then I realized multiple chickens had head problems. 4 out of 6 have something weird going on. I smeared them all with antibiotic ointment to try to help, and today am on my way to get some Vetericyn.

I've attached a picture of the bald spot on my speckled Sussex. It is bigger today than it was last night. I've also attached a picture of my Easter Egger, who actually has some kind of head growth which is pushing her head feathers up. I have no idea if these problems are related.

Is this related to pecking/feather picking? Could the lesion on my Egger be from pecking trauma or is it something else? We watched them all carefully today but didn't see anybody attacking anybody else. Help!

Extra info: They're about 4 months old. We're feeding them flock raiser right now and they free range all day and are in their coop at night. I can get more pics of necessary... I'm super worried right now.

This looks like feather picking to me. It's too coincidental that it's all in one spot.

You say there are two chickens that DON'T have this.......... I would grab a chair sit very still in their yard until they forget you are there and just watch them for a while. It may take some time, but it's possible the bully chickens will out themselves.

Are the chickens without the trauma of the same breed, by any chance?

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom