Severe Beak Issue - Photo Attached.

AllCoop'dUp

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2010
Creswell, Oregon
Reposted from Breeds, Genetics, & Showing:

Baby chick 4wk old lower beak severely stunted. Eating and drinking no problem, but the top beak is hooked over and so I tried to trim it ever so slightly, like 1/8th of an inch and it started bleeding. Tried blood stopper, still bled, tried baking powder, still bled, finally stopped. I'm not sure if the lower beak will ever grow more than it already is. It feels like the beak isn't even connected to the jaw as the jaw seems to move independently from the beak. Sorry the picture isn't that great. I guess my basic question is, has anyone had a deformity like this and the chick lead a good life. She definately is smaller than the rest, but gets right in there and eats. In the photo the jaw looks like a bump and the beak is above it, but it's tiny.
57277_57277_mpc4wksold_0251.jpg

Quote:
No...one of my chicks from MPC Pullet order. Not sure what breed.
If she can hold her own, I have no problem keeping and feeding her.
Her body is a bit smaller then the rest of the 4wk olds, but she's just as feathered out as they are.

If she is not a bantam, and she is already smaller than the others- she is NOT getting enough to eat, and will likely starve to death eventually as the upper beak gets longer and longer and gets even more in the way. You can probably trim her beak weekly to keep it as short as possible- but if you cannot commit to long term beak care- cull or debeak the upper. If this was my chick, I would humanely dispatch. If you want to give her the best long term chance at eating & surviving- you need to debeak her upper beak- meaning cut it back far enough that is will not continue to grow out- like they do in commercial poultry houses to prevent cannibalism. It is done when they are very young with a hot blade. A vet can do this fairly safely in an older bird- they have anesthesia, pain meds, and stronger blood stopping ability than quick-stop. Before having a surgery like this done, I would work hard on getting more nutrition into her (get her stronger)- try a deep feeding trough of crumbles, try moistening the food & see if it helps. Be very aware that seeing her get in there and looking like she is eating, is not necessarily eating. If she is smaller- she is likely pushing the food around, but not getting very much into her mouth. She is getting enough to not die (yet), but not enough to grow. Feel her crop & feel the other chicks- hers is likely small or empty compared to the others.

Sorry this is so harsh, but I hear time and time again about these little guys with various beak deformities- they are small, fail to thrive, and usually die before reaching 4-5 months. I feel very bad for most of them that probably live most of their lives really hungry- with food right in front of them that they can push around but not eat enough of. There are rare cases of people who truly commit to doing what they need (hand feeding, tube feeding ect), and they can survive- but this is not the norm.

I would take strong action or humanely dispatch, sooner rather than later.

My long term plan is to trim her beak weekly and I already use deep dish wet crumbles mixed with small amount of corn and grit. Supplement with live crickets, garden vegetables, yogurt and seasonal fruit. I check her daily to make sure she has food in her crop and also to make sure she is not being pecked on. I have also force fed her. I will take your advice about possible surgery or culling. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom