Severe bumble foot in roo

Jenniferprice1

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2019
50DE5BF1-22B0-4848-A802-067C9EAC69A0.jpeg
3E9B566D-A9BE-4535-ACD3-32DD23B36832.jpeg
This poor too! I took in 15 chickens and 1 roster 2 weeks ago. Instantly noticed his severely swollen feet. I was told, ‘they have always looked like that.’ I caught him and was floored at conditions of his feet. Occasionally I get a bumble and treat early. I’ve never seen this before!
Tx: soaked in epsom daily, then chlorahexidine. I removed bumbles (5 or 6 on each foot) ..there was hard yellow pus throughout feet. I cleaned as much as I could. Apply antibiotic ointment and wrap well daily. He is separated on fresh bedding. I injected penicillin daily for 6 days. Still soaking and wrapping daily. Some more pus pockets break through here and there. He had red lines running up his legs when I first started antibiotics but that seems better. Feet don’t seem less swollen. I feel so bad for him, he is so sweet. Acting fine, eating and drinking well. I noticed loose stool from him today. What else can I do? I know..vet..but last time I took a chicken to local vet..$400..I just can’t afford it. Any other ideas? These were pics over a week ago after soaking in betadine. I’ll take new pics when I wrap tomorrow. I just noticed limping for first time today (I can’t believe he never limped before this) is this just way to bad to save ? Anyone ever had luck with it this bad in both feet? Kindest regards, jenn

Well, that is just sad. How can someone let their rooster get in this condition? I don't know much about bumble foot, haven't dealt with it before. But based on what I've read, it seems like you are doing all the right things right now. I understand not being able to spend $400 on a vet. I think most of them don't know enough about chickens so they run every test they can think of, and the cost adds up.

How old is he? Do you know? I think if you persevere, you will succeed in getting him well. but, he has been neglected a long time so it will take some time for healing to take hold. Bumble foot is essentially an infection that can result from a cut on his foot. Seems like the conditions had to be bad for him where he was.

He is so lucky he has you now to care for him. He's sweet because he knows you are helping him.

:(Oh poor boy! Sounds like your doing everything you can. If he's eating and drinking and active I would keep going. He might just take awhile to heal that up. My roo has very knobby feet but I think his is gout and that's what causing his bumbles. maybe this roo has an underlying factor you can't see yet. Nice of you to take in these chickens!

It's appalling. Poor guy. It must hurt something awful. Sadly, there are some chicken keepers that do not think of chickens as animals deserving of care to their health. Glad you rescued these guys.

I think you are doing everything possible for this poor guy. The one toe that is blackening, unless it's improved by now, looks in danger of falling off. That's may be what will happen to his entire feet, and if that does happen, he will be left with stubs to walk on. He can manage, but it will require some effort on his part to learn to get around, which chickens most often do.

Soaking daily in Epsom salts can help circulation, so I suggest you do that. It could save most of his feet.

Thank you for that! I cannot stand for any animal to suffer and I take great care of my chickens (I have 49 now). The whole group looked kinda rough. But looking better every day.
There is absolutely no way to get all the pus pockets out..bc it’s in both feet all over. I’m noticing some pus pockets are breaking surface and I lance them..as sterile as possible.
I may break down and take him up to Cornell. I really don’t want to loose him..such a patient, sweet guy..to let me do everything I’ve done to him.
Should I do another round of antibiotics?

I would continue the penicillin since bumblefoot is one of the most stubborn and difficult infections to conquer. Perhaps you could space the doses out to every other day instead of daily, though, just keeping a minimum of antibiotic active in his system. Just an idea. I wouldn't do it any longer than a month, though.

I believe you are doing as good, or better job than a vet could. Be confident you are doing everything you should be doing.

I’ll post update pics tomorrow ! Thank you all!
I may get up and drive him to Ithaca (1 hour away) to Cornell College vet hospital. They can usually give a close estimate on what the cost will be. I think he needs his feet opened up and debrided totally with IV antibiotics. ..or he may not make it. I can’t afford it..but I’ll have to just cut corners in life, I guess.
I’m a people nurse..so I can usually do a good job doctoring my animals through research. But this lil Roo has me stumped on what else to do.

:(Oh poor boy! Sounds like your doing everything you can. If he's eating and drinking and active I would keep going. He might just take awhile to heal that up. My roo has very knobby feet but I think his is gout and that's what causing his bumbles. maybe this roo has an underlying factor you can't see yet. Nice of you to take in these chickens!
Gout is a really good suggestion. Do you know if he was being fed layer pellets or possibly raised on them? If it is gout, he'll probably have some degree of kidney damage. Make sure he's on an appropriate all-flock style feed that doesn't contain excess calcium if he isn't already.

Some of the scales on his legs seem 'lifted', could be the swelling from the bumble foot, but could be mites. Since it only takes but a minute of your time and a few drops of oil, I'd recommend oiling down his legs in any oil you have on hand that's deemed "edible". Suffocates mites, and conditions his skin. Win-Win.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom