Severe Bumblefoot need help

Simply removing the scab doesnt mean the infection or kernal is going to be removed in that manner.

Soak in warm epsom salts water for 30 minutes. It will draw up the infection. Then cut open the scab and remove scab.

You have to squeeze the HECK out of the swollen footpad as much as possible to get the infection out. Squeeze squeeze and squeeze hard! If it doesnt come out, manipulate the footpad and continue squeezing hard, use a paper towel to sop up the blood and use tweezers to dig around in the hole. Sop up more blood and continue to squeeze.

When the bird jerks her foot while you're digging around in the hole, you're done. The infection isnt there. You've removed the infection whether you know it or not.
Flush the hole with Betadine, then pack the hole with Neosporin. Put a gauze over it and wrap it with duct tape. Cut the duct tape in strips to fit between the toes etc...
It's waterproof and cant be removed by the hen.
Remove the duct tape in 5 days by using scissors to cut it off vertically going down the leg or up the leg and inspect the wound. It should just about be healed or completely healed.

Simply removing the scab doesnt mean the infection or kernal is going to be removed in that manner.

Soak in warm epsom salts water for 30 minutes. It will draw up the infection. Then cut open the scab and remove scab.

You have to squeeze the HECK out of the swollen footpad as much as possible to get the infection out. Squeeze squeeze and squeeze hard! If it doesnt come out, manipulate the footpad and continue squeezing hard, use a paper towel to sop up the blood and use tweezers to dig around in the hole. Sop up more blood and continue to squeeze.

When the bird jerks her foot while you're digging around in the hole, you're done. The infection isnt there. You've removed the infection whether you know it or not.
Flush the hole with Betadine, then pack the hole with Neosporin. Put a gauze over it and wrap it with duct tape. Cut the duct tape in strips to fit between the toes etc...
Remove the duct tape in 5 days by using scissors to cut it off vertically going down the leg or up the leg and inspect the wound. It should just about be healed or completely healed.
I’ll have to try during tomorrow nights routine since I’m done & put her back to bed already. I still would also like to give her some medication along with the surgery. Did you see the pic with the slight red streak going up her leg? Her leg also feels hot. What you are seeing on the bottom of her foot is the hole not a scab. I removed the scab a week ago. I have 2 different kinds of scalpel & neither of them are cutting through the thick skin on the edge of the hole on the bottom of the foot plus I’m freaked out I’m going to cut too deep. I don’t have a helper so I do this alone.
Each night here’s what I have been doing:
Soak both her feet in epsom salt water, wash the feet with Betadine,
clean the bumble hole out with tweezers & flush it out with peroxide,
spray with vetercin poultry spray,
pack the hole with ointment,
Place ointment on a gauze pad (I’ve used both drawing salve & neosporin separately),
Wrap with vet wrap
Then wrap with medical tape.

She finds a way to get dirt inside the wrap/bandage every time no matter how I wrap it so I do this daily. I still have her with the rest of the flock & she does fine / normal but today I can tell her foot has become bothersome.

Since her other foot has never been normal & makes her walk funny I am expecting that she will be a chronic bumbler & I want to learn as many things as I can to help me understand this dang problem.

Once the infection gets to the legbone, no amount of antibiotics will stop it. The staph infection quickly spreads throughout the body.
You can try Baytril. Here's a link where you can buy it. I recommend that you expedite shipping when ordering it.
https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/bird-medications/products/baytril-10
Dosage is given orally using a syringe without a needle, 0.05ml per pound of weight 2 times a day for 5 days.
Baytril is top of the line and if Baytril doesnt work, nothing will.

Once the infection gets to the legbone, no amount of antibiotics will stop it. The staph infection quickly spreads throughout the body.
You can try Baytril. Here's a link where you can buy it. I recommend that you expedite shipping when ordering it.
Dosage is given orally using a syringe without a needle, 0.05ml per pound of weight 2 times a day for 5 days.
Thank you SO very much! My expedited order has been placed.

I agree with this it is swollen and infected and needs drained (squeezed).

The Baytril was in my mailbox tonight. I will start it in the morning since they were all in bed by the time I got home. What is the best way to determine a chickens weight? She is a 7 month old golden laced Wyandotte. Thank you ahead of time.

What I do is weigh myself on my bathroom scale and make note of my weight. Then immediately I go fetch the chicken I want to weigh. I step onto the scale exactly as five minutes before, but this time I have my (bewildered) chicken in my arms. I step back on the scale and note the second weight. I subtract the lesser from the greater number, and the difference is the exact weight of the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom