Severe frostbite?

AspenGrove

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2023
Hello everyone,

My chickens are kept in an old grain shed turned chicken coop, couple heat lamps, heated waterers, good ventilation, etc. however, in the past week or so my leghorn rooster’s comb and waddles have gone pale and I think he may have frostbite? Could it be something else? He’s currently in a heated quarantine pen by himself and seems to enjoy the unlimited food, but I’m concerned about him still!

Photos are attached!

I’m from Western Canada, so we regularly get -40 temps in the winter but the coop is -10 on the worst days.

Attachments

• 78EAF2A4-E15D-417D-9E01-8C23963653B6.jpeg
    78EAF2A4-E15D-417D-9E01-8C23963653B6.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 17
Yes that is frostbite. I usually don’t recommend putting anything on it that could freeze and make it worse. No ointment, creams,,etc. It will heal with rounded off comb and wattles in several weeks to a couple of months.

Yes that is frostbite. I usually don’t recommend putting anything on it that could freeze and make it worse. No ointment, creams,,etc. It will heal with rounded off comb and wattles in several weeks to a couple of months.
Thank you! Should I be keeping him in his little heated pen for awhile or do you think he can go back with his ladies?

He can go back as long as they do not peck his comb. I would do it when you can observe and be with them for awhile. I would not keep him in a heated spot if he is going back out into the cold weather coop now or eventually.

Back
Top Bottom